Difficulty pasting generated passwords

I am trying to change out some of my old passwords with new generated passwords, but very often I cannot paste the new generated password into the text box on secure websites. I am able to paste into a text document, but in the special text box field it does not seem to paste at all.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry to hear that, @NatEE‌!

If you can paste the password into anything, then 1Password is "loading" it into the clipboard correctly, which would mean the problem is with the "recipient": that is, the field you're trying to paste into.

To check that out, try copying something from somewhere else—from that text document, for example—and pasting into "the special text box field" you mentioned.

Does that work?

• NatEE
    NatEE
    Community Member

It is only one of the secure websites - a credit card site that does not seem to work. It actually works until I have to enter in teh old password and then enter in the new password. At the new password point I generate a secure password and it does not want to paste in. I tried using a text document and doing in that way, but no dice. The rest seem to be functioning well with copy and paste. Perhaps they have some kind of security on that site that does not allow any pasting for passwords. Not sure.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

So, it's the field itself that prevents pasting. That probably made sense to the person who programmed the web page, but I don't know of anything we can do about it.

I'm sorry not to have a more helpful answer for you, @NatEE‌. :(

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

I believe the 1P autofill does not use copy and paste but interacts with the fields directly.
    It might work if you go to access the password generator from from the 1P browser extension and simply hit ok rather than trying to copy and paste. It should fill both the password and confirm fields.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

It might work if you go to access the password generator from from the 1P browser extension and simply hit ok rather than trying to copy and paste. It should fill both the password and confirm fields.

Please note this feature is Chrome+Firefox+Safari only. It doesn't work in IE. However, we always copy the generated password to the clipboard (when you press OK).

This discussion has been closed.