Sync from Windows to iOS

Hi there,

I am having some issues in transferring/syncing my vault from Windows to iOS.

When using DropBox, I get the following error: "The operation could'nt be completed. (dropbox.com error 404."
I have checked that everything has synced from the PC, and the files are placed in the correct folder by 1Password.
I get the same error on an iPad Air and an iPhone 6, both running iOS 8.0.2
Nothing is synced!

When looking at the files via File Sharing in iTunes, I can both see, download and upload the backup folder, however the iOS version stores backups with an "1p4_zip" extension and the Windows version backs up using "agilekeychain_zip"
Even if I change the file extension of the backup, it would appear that Windows and iOS backups are not compatible (restore fails in iOS)

iCloud Drive seems to be completely ignored by the iOS version at the moment, making it impossible to sync that way?

Am I correct in thinking that while iCloud Drive IS available on Windows, sync via iCloud Drive will not be made available until OS X Yosemite‎ is released?

I am using the latest version of 1Password on both Windows (4.0.1.503) and iOS

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Dropbox and Wi-Fi are the only mechanisms for syncing your 1Password data between Windows and iOS. Please see Syncing your 1Password data in the user's guide for details.

Note: Neither backup files nor iTunes file sharing is related to syncing in any way.

• I am aware that Dropbox and wifi are the only supported methods of syncing.

However, as mentioned above, Dropbox sync is not working and as I was not able to sync via wifi (different networks) I was exploring other means of transferring (not syncing) data from windows to iOS.

To me, it would make sense to use the same backup format across platforms, as it would enable a crude transfer of data from platform to platform, when sync is not available.

As for iCloud drive sync, I guess this will be enabled once it is available in OS X.

If anyone have ideas as to what can be done about the issues with Dropbox, I am all ears.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

it would appear that Windows and iOS backups are not compatible

Correct. This is an inconvenient change going from 1Password 3 for Mac to 1Password 4 for Mac. The backups used to be cross-platform, but now they are not. :(

Am I correct in thinking that while iCloud Drive IS available on Windows, sync via iCloud Drive will not be made available until OS X Yosemite‎ is released?

More bad news. I'm afraid iCloud Drive is never going to work, because 1Password on iOS and Mac are using CloudKit (not iCloud Drive).

• Correct. This is an inconvenient change going from 1Password 3 for Mac to 1Password 4 for Mac. The backups used to be cross-platform, but now they are not. :(

Are there plans to re-align the platforms and once again make the backups compatible?

More bad news. I'm afraid iCloud Drive is never going to work, because 1Password on iOS and Mac are using CloudKit (not iCloud Drive).

Ah, yes. I see the difference now.

As this is the case, how about adding a feature where you implement iCloud Drive as an option alongside DropBox?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi Brian,

Unfortunately iCloud Drive won't currently work well as a sync option for the Mac version of 1Password because iCloud Drive has trouble detecting changes to Mac's bundle files. It wouldn't work with 1Password for iOS either. This is one of the reasons we're using Apple's CloudKit technology in 1Password 5 for iOS (and soon in the Mac version). The drawback is that CloudKit isn't supported on Windows.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

...and, to answer your other question, I know of no plan at this time to make backup formats cross-platform compatible. Backups are intended for restoration to 1Password on the same platform as that on which they were created.

This discussion has been closed.