1Password 4 Feedback

Just upgraded to 1Password 4 a couple weeks ago and thought I'd share some feedback. I mainly use it with the Chrome extension and rarely use the app.

The Good:

1. Generally prettier all around.
  2. It noticed I was updating a password and automatically asked if it should update the 1P4 database as well. I've been waiting for this.
  3. It remembers the last generated password. Super useful.
  4. I like the Heartbleed/Watchtower notifications.

The Bad:

1. Cannot edit login info directly in 1P4 extension (in Chrome).
  2. Search doesn't offer possible completions as you type.
  3. Cmd-/ randomly stops working.

The Ugly:

1. Installation does not add (or offer to add) 1P4 agent to startup. I hated having to manually start up 1P4 until I figured this out. And this would be so simple to fix.

Things I'd like to see:

1. A way to check for password reuse (ie. scan all login passwords and let me know any that are reusing the same password).
  2. When login form no longer matches 1P4's data, it should alert the user. I found this happening a lot when going back and updating passwords based on Watchtower notifications. And if this could also be tied to the auto-update prompt so I don't have to delete and re-save the login, that would really make it a lot more convenient.
  3. Alternatively, when asked to save a "new" login, also get the option to overwrite an existing one.

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

No. 1 already exists. View menu > Duplicate Passwords

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

Cannot edit login info directly in 1P4 extension (in Chrome).

Correct, but there is a workaround (albeit cumbersome). Right-click on the menu item. A new sub-menu should appear. From here, you can open this Login item in 1Password.

Installation does not add (or offer to add) 1P4 agent to startup

It should. Have you tried to restart the 1Password helper?

Help > Restart 1Password Helper

Not only does this restart the helper, it will also re-install the helper to startup.

A way to check for password reuse

View > Duplicated Passwords

when asked to save a "new" login, also get the option to overwrite an existing one.

Please click on the drop-down that reads "Create new Login". If you have existing Logins for the same domain, it should allow you to replace those:

• markwoon
    markwoon
    Community Member

It should. Have you tried to restart the 1Password helper?

>

Help > Restart 1Password Helper

>

Not only does this restart the helper, it will also re-install the helper to startup.

Didn't know about it. But the install process definitely didn't install it on my machine. I was upgrading from the old version, maybe something went wrong?

This page should be updated: https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/launch-automatically (this is the #2 google result for "1password windows startup").

Re: overwriting existing passwords - I just saw this today. Perhaps I wasn't prompted before because the existing account info was out of date?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

But the install process definitely didn't install it on my machine. I was upgrading from the old version, maybe something went wrong?

Maybe you un-installed the old version AFTER you installed the 4.0 version? Just a thought.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

This page should be updated: https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/launch-automatically (this is the #2 google result for "1password windows startup").

Sorry for the confusion. That article is under "Older versions" > "1Password 1 for Windows", which we retain for those folks who haven't yet upgraded to the current version.

This discussion has been closed.