1Password4 having an additional problem with Vanguard login

Though not ideal I got the old 1Password to work with Vanguard but it took a whole lot of steps each time I login. The only good thing was I did not need to remember a long password and type it in. I just downloaded 1P4 last week and have started using it. With Vanguard the username seems to be OK but it will not take the password and I get an error. I have tried this in both IE and Chrome with the same error. If I go into 1p4 and copy the Vanguard password and paste it in it works. I am guessing that 1P4 must be adding a non-printable character or it is not reading the login properly to submit. Certainly others must be using 1P4 with Vanguard so I am hoping for some insight on how to get this working. Thanks.

Comments

• brcs55
    brcs55
    Community Member

As a further note I created a new login using the Vanguard login referenced in other areas of this site. I get the same result with Vanguard saying I have not submitted a correct password. I noted that 1 password's input is showing only 9 dots where the cut and paste is 11 dots. This seems like 1P4 is not reading the whole field. Is there a password limit in 1P4?

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

The Vanguard site is still working for me with the current version of 1Password 4 for Windows.

My login item has URL https://vanguard.com/

In the web form fields there is: (I left my username and password blank here)

Name Value Type Designation
    usernam  ———  text username
    LoginForm:PASSWORD  ———  password password

My password is quite longer than 9 or 11, so length isn't your problem. One thing you could try is in the main 1Password4 program, rename your Vanguard login item and change its URL to xanguard.com (just to save and disable it), and then make a new login item with the URL and fields as I have written here, with your username and password in the Value fields. See if that works.

• brcs55
    brcs55
    Community Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I did this as suggested unfortunately I still have the same problem. 1P4 is not placing the exact number of characters in the Vanguard form. I once again was able to open the login record, copy and paste and it works fine. As noted it worked before so something must have changed. What makes this doubly annoying is that Vanguard only allows you to be wrong a couple of times before you have to change the password. I note the only difference is the suggestion of LoginForm:PASSWORD vs password. I also have auto-type in web browser checked.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the help, @bkh!

I wonder whether you and @brcs55‌ are using the same browser?

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

Good point. I'm running Firefox v33 with plugin v4.2.5.b1 and 1Password4 v4.1.0.521

• brcs55
    brcs55
    Community Member

I have tried this today using IE, Chrome and Firefox. In all cases 1P4 is inputting 9 characters vs the 11 in my current password. The cut and paste works in all three browsers. Is it best to submit a technical request?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I'm checking with Dev now. Thanks for your patience!

• brcs55
    brcs55
    Community Member

I am curious when Dev may have a comment or am I just better going back to the older version, assuming that will work once again? I log into Vanguard several times a day as they have a lousy timeout system so this is a bit of a pain.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

I would love to reproduce and fix this problem, but I cannot seem to get past this username login page:

https://investor.vanguard.com/home/

:(

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

@brcs55, my Vanguard login fills normally for me but yours isn't working. Do you have some time for experimentation? If so, maybe we can get your Vanguard login working normally and also get the 1Password folks some clues to help them find the problem. First, what version of 1Password4 are you using, and what version of the browser plugin? I ask that just because some of the older ones did give me trouble with logins, but recent versions have been working for me. Assuming your 1Password4 app is 4.0.1.521 or newer, and your Firefox plugin is v4.2.5.b1 or newer, then it's time for the experiment. (It's especially important to have a recent version of the browser plugin, because they fixed lots of bugs with filling login items.) I can get the most recent firefox plugin from https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions/firefox?beta=true

As I understand it, the problem with the Vanguard login is that the correct password doesn't go in, whether you have the auto-type feature checked or unchecked in that login, but if you click copy on the password and then paste it into Vanguard it works correctly. In particular, it appears that 2 characters are dropped from the password when 1Password does the fill. This suggests to me that your password has one or more special characters that are triggering a bug in the 1Password fill code. The characters that I think are most likely to cause problems are the backslash '\' and any kind of quotation mark. So here's what I suggest. Log into Vanguard and change your password: leave it almost identical but change just one special character into X just because we know that letter will work fine. In the 1Password app manually edit the Vanguard password to change that character to X. Now see if the Vanguard login works normally (with the auto-type unchecked). If that fixed it, post a message here to say what that special character was that causes the problem. If not, then login to Vanguard and change your password again to replace the next special character with X, and continue one at a time until it starts working or until the password is only letters and digits: no special characters or spaces or anything else. At the end of this process you should have a Vanguard password that works in 1Password4 and you should know exactly which special character in the password was triggering the bug. Or (this would be a big surprise) you would report that even with a password that only has letters and numbers the fill doesn't work.

I realize this may be a bit of a nuisance, but it should get your Vanguard login working normally and it should also give a good clue to the 1Password folks so they can try to find the underlying problem. Please let us know how it goes.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Great advice, @bkh. Thanks fso much or helping a fellow forum member!

@brcs55‌, we'll be grateful to hear your results. Thanks for your assistance, too!

• brcs55
    brcs55
    Community Member

Really appreciate the feedback. My current password did have a $ in it. The prior one had an ! in it. I did change my password to a 13 character all number and alpha with some caps. Same problem and continues to only show 9 dots. Again I can copy form 1P4 and paste and it works fine. I also have the same issue with my daughter's Vanguard password which has always been 10 alphanumeric characters with no special characters. In her case Vanguard seems to show 12 dots so that may be no correlation. The 1P4 version is 4.1.0.256. I use chrome most of the time and it shows 4.2.5.90. When doing prior testing Firefox had the same issue and I am running 4.2.4. I am using a Dell laptop.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Again, @brcs55‌, our problem is that, not having a Vanguard account ourselves, we can't get to the password page to test 1Password's behavior there. :(

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

@brcs55, just to double check: in the 1Password4 main app if you open the Vanguard login item and click the pencil symbol to edit, the form shows
    a line that has the type "password" and the designation "password" and your 11-character password, is that right? Here's another thought for something to look at. You don't happen to have another line in the Vanguard form for the answer to a security question or anything, do you? Where the answer happens to be 9-characters long? Does your 1Password4 login item for Vanguard have any more than 2 lines in the form? One for user name and one for password and nothing else? Just trying to rule out other possibilities....

Again, @brcs55‌, our problem is that, not having a Vanguard account ourselves, we can't get to the password page to test 1Password's behavior there.

@DBrown, that's an obstacle, but even if you could, you wouldn't necessarily reproduce the behavior: my Vanguard login works fine with a long password that contains special characters, so it seems that the issue depends somehow on the particulars of brcs55's situation.

• brcs55
    brcs55
    Community Member

Well I think I found the route cause of my problems. It has something to do with Auto-type being checked or not checked in the new version. I created a completely new username/password for my wife on Vanguard's site. Then I manually created a new login to match in 1P4. It not only worked, but after having 1P4 input the password field it actually automatically submitted, which it has never done for my Vanguard login. I then went back and unchecked the Auto-type field in both mine and my daughter's login and the both worked again. It still does not auto submit like my wife's seems to be doing but it is now working and that makes me happy. Not sure what the auto-type is doing but something within it has changed. Thank you to "bkh" for giving some ideas on how to approach the problem to come up with a work around.

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

Glad to hear that you got it working. In my experience, the auto-type checkbox normally should be unchecked: it should only be checked as a last attempted work-around if nothing fills when you give Ctrl+\ to fill some login form.

To try to get the auto submit working, set it in that specific login item rather than in the Preferences > Logins checkbox. In the main app, edit the login item by clicking the pencil symbol, then near the bottom look for Submit: [dropdown list] and set it to always. That should do it for most web sites. But it will only auto submit on a page that has a password field. They don't auto submit the username if it is on a separate page as it is on Vanguard. (But sometimes going through the login page via the browser key symbol will fill and submit all the way through.)

Thank you to "bkh" for giving some ideas on how to approach the problem to come up with a work around.

You're most welcome. The web page designers for login forms seem to have a huge number of ways to try to keep their login forms secure from the badguys, and I'm amazed that programs like 1Password4 are generally able to find some way to fill the forms despite the best attempts of the web sites to require genuine human typing on a keyboard while preventing snooping by malware.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

In my experience, the auto-type checkbox normally should be unchecked: it should only be checked as a last attempted work-around if nothing fills when you give Ctrl+\ to fill some login form.

This is exactly right! https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/using-auto-type

I'm amazed that programs like 1Password4 are generally able to find some way to fill the forms despite the best attempts of the web sites to require genuine human typing on a keyboard while preventing snooping by malware.

Thanks, @bkh!

This discussion has been closed.