Dropbox down - How does this affect 1Password?

I use Dropbox to sync my vault between all my devices and it works really well.

With the recent security scares it’s made me consider what would happen if I lost access to dropbox for a short time, or even worse for a long period of time.

I use the vaults stored on dropbox with 2 PC’s, 1 iPad and 2 iPhones. If dropbox was down how would this affect my ability to access the data in my vaults on these devices? Does 1Password store a cache of the data on any of these devices allowing me to still have access while dropbox was down or would I lose access to everything?

I’m just wondering how reliant 1Password is with Dropbox when it’s used to sync and how much trust I need to have in them.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I use the vaults stored on dropbox with 2 PC’s, 1 iPad and 2 iPhones. If dropbox was down how would this affect my ability to access the data in my vaults on these devices?

Your data would still be available on your local drive, but it won't sync to the Dropbox servers.

Does 1Password store a cache of the data on any of these devices allowing me to still have access while dropbox was down

Correct.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

Great, it's good to know i'd still have access to my data if I lose connection to Dropbox. Thanks

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

Dropbox copies data from the Dropbox folder hierarchy on your PC to all other devices associated with the same Dropbox account (and vice versa). To facilitate that two-way process, it keeps a copy of the data on your private dropbox.com web site.

If you delete something from the Dropbox folder hierarchy on your PC or any other device associated with the same Dropbox account, that deleted file or folder will be deleted from your private dropbox.com web site and from all other devices associated with the same Dropbox account.

Breaking access to your private dropbox.com web site or uninstalling Dropbox from your PC simply stops that sync process, leaving your data intact. (Of course, you can continue to modify the local copy; those modifications would be synced to your private dropbox.com web site and all other devices associated with the same Dropbox account, if you re-established the connection later.)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

Thanks for that description.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@reck‌, on behalf of DBrown, you're very welcome! :)

This discussion has been closed.