Is muti vault support coming soon to Windows?

I have a vault for personal and one for work. I access both personal and work sites all day long. I would think this situation would be fairly common. Since you can't seem to have multiple vaults open in the Windows version I have to constantly unlock vaults, which is a real pain.

Is there a workaround or is this feature planned for the near future? I saw some mention of a sharing feature on the Mac version. If I could share my work vault with my personal, maybe that would work. But it looks like there is no sharing on Windows.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

--B

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Bmeist,

1Password for Windows already supports multiple vaults, as you can create as many different vaults as you want. But it sounds like you want to switch between vaults without entering a master password for each one, similar to 1Password for Mac? I can certainly forward your request to our developers.

1Password for Windows also has sharing features. To share individual items, see our guide here: Sharing an item

To share an entire vault, you can find steps here: Sharing a vault

• Bmeist
    Bmeist
    Community Member

Thanks for the info Drew. I did not word the subject very well. Please do pass on my suggestion. I'm not sure why they would not be able to achieve the same functionality in Windows. I do not have a Mac, so I'm not sure how that version works, but I would like to have 2 vaults open and available for logins at the same time, so I can login to personal and work sites without having to keep switching vaults many times per day.

Thank you!!

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

I believe by multi-vault support Bmeist means that you should be able to visit a site and 1password login you in regardless of which vault the login is saved in. At the moment you have to keep switching vaults (and typing passwords) depending on which login you want to use.

Interestingly the ios extension does support multi-vaults. When I visit a site in my iPhone it offers me logins across vaults.

As someone who also has a work and home vault it would be nice to see this functionality added to the windows client.

Are we likely to see this soon?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

As @Drew_AG writes, and as documented in the user's guide, 1Password for Windows does not include the concept of "primary" and "secondary" vaults. Each vault is individually locked and unlocked, one at a time.

In future releases of 1Password, the idea of "cross-vault" access may be handled in a more similar manner on the Mac and PC, but details of any design changes on either platform have yet to be resolved.

• Bmeist
    Bmeist
    Community Member

Yes, you are correct @reck, that is what I am looking for. I can't tell you how many times I had to unlock vaults today, but it was a LOT. Also, I don't have my work vault master password memorized as it is too long, so I have to go and copy and paste it each time, ugh. I may need to look into another solution as this important feature does not seem to be coming any time soon.

I am a software engineer, so I know if a feature is not on the board yet, it's going to be a while. I just can't figure out what the platform would have to do with this particular feature being available.

In any case, I do appreciate the quick responses! Take care.

--B.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, @Bmeist!

• Nazbuster
    Nazbuster
    Community Member

I like having multiple vaults so I can build logins for my wife's sites separately from my own. I'm having trouble understanding how to implement the 2 vaults in the FireFox plugin so I can switch vaults in FireFox. Any suggestions?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@Nazbuster‌
    Shouldn't your wife being building her own sites? Otherwise you'd have access to all of her accounts.

• Nazbuster
    Nazbuster
    Community Member

@RichardPayne Her list of links is a subset of mine plus a few shopping sites. She doesn't need to see all the extra links I maintain. The two vaults are working fine. I can switch back and forth easily in the 1PW application on the PC. I can also switch vaults on each of our iPhones. What's not working is my ability to switch vaults clicking the key symbol for the plug-in in FireFox. The vault that displays there is always the primary vault, not the extra one I set up for my wife, even though that one is the active one in the 1PW application. I don't see any function in the pop-down window to allow the vault change.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Ah ok, so it's a list of shared logins. I assume she will also have another vault with her personal ones in.

Do you not see this?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

@Nazbuster‌, I posted much the same image in your other thread (about switching between vaults from within the Firefox extension).

Is that your question here, too?

This discussion has been closed.