URL too long for the add url field when editing login

Options
Boots
Boots
Community Member
edited October 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I'm setting up a login for amazon.ca and amazon.com. Lenient URL matching is enabled, and I am able to use ctrl + \ at the login screen for both domains. My problem is in the 1Password for windows application, where I'd like to be able to navigate to the respective urls from the info pane.

The login was originally created by signing in to amazon.ca, and the full url is stored in 1Password. To add the url for amazon.com to this login, I navigated to the sign in page for amazon.com, copied the url from my browser address bar, and pasted it into the add url field. There are now two urls listed in the info pane for this login, but the amazon.com one is incomplete. Is there a way to add the full url so that I can navigate to both sites from within the login stored in 1Password?

This screenshot shows both urls, the top being amazon.ca, which I can navigate to with no problem, the bottom one being amazon.com, which is incomplete, and won't navigate to the sign in page for that website.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

I'm not sure what went wrong, but you should be able to delete that non-working URL from your Login item, and then add another one.

Here's an alternative workflow to clicking those URLs in detail view:

1. Right-click on your Login item
    2. Hover over the menu item labelled "Open"
    3. A new sub-menu should appear, displaying both your URLs for this Login item

P.S. I have this URL associated with my amazon.com Login item:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/yourstore?signIn=1

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Amazon's a nightmare for that. They track your progress through automated processes using url parameters rather than post data.

• Boots
    Boots
    Community Member
    Options

Right clicking on the login and hovering over open still only gives me the exact urls as shown in my screenshot, one of which doesn't work. But what does work, and beautifully, is the shortened url you provided. I replaced the urls I had for both amazon.ca and .com with your version, and now this login is behaving exactly the way I wanted it to.

My only question now is, how did you/would I know to do that? Either I need a good lesson in urls, or I'll just come here for url shortening services if I ever run into this problem again.

Problem solved:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Boots, I'm glad to hear that helped!

I don't think there's necessarily one specific way to find shorter URLs for login pages on websites. And not all sites necessarily have shorter login URLs. Personally, I've found some shorter ones just by experimenting with the URL (i.e. deleting some of the text from the end of the URL and seeing if it still opens to the login page). But every site works differently.

What I normally do is make sure I'm logged out of a site, then go to the main URL (for example, https://www.amazon.com) and find a link or button for the login page. On some sites, that will give you a good, "normal" URL for the login page, and I'll make sure that's the URL in my login item (after testing that it works as expected). This doesn't work on all sites though - you'll notice Amazon still gives a long URL when you try that. Like I said, every site works differently. :wink:

Someone else might have better tips, but long URLs for login pages aren't necessarily bad. You shouldn't worry about it unless you run into a problem.

• Boots
    Boots
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Drew_AG! I would never have considered trying to shorten the URL, and was pleasantly surprised when @svondutch offered the alternative to Amazon's long URLs. Your method of going to the login page and copying the URL was precisely what I was doing, but I was running into problems when I tried to paste that URL into an existing login in 1Password. Is that something that could be changed in 1Password, to allow longer URLs?

This is where I ran into the issue. 1Password had no problem when I allowed it to create the initial login when I signed into amazon.ca. But when I navigated to amazon.com sign in page, and copied the URL into the existing amazon login as shown in the attachment, 1Password didn't accept the full URL. It was shortened by quite a bit. Is there a reason 1Password can't accept URLs over a certain length when adding them through the edit login window?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

The limit seems to be 255 characters in that URL dialog box. I don't know why it's so much shorter than the 2000+ characters IE (for example) can accept.

• Boots
    Boots
    Community Member
    Options

I tested it with the amazon URL as well as manual input. I was able to get 255 characters each time.

• Boots
    Boots
    Community Member
    Options

I hadn't noticed you had edited your post before I submitted mine. At least I know whats going on here, if I come across anymore URLs that are too long I'll try to shorten them. Thanks for all your help guys!!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome @Boots‌! We're always glad to help! :smiley:

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The limit seems to be 255 characters in that URL dialog box

Fixed in 4.1.0.524

This discussion has been closed.