Mac + Windows bundle - license upgrade question

Options

I bought the bundle, and while 1PW5 is a free upgrade from 4 on the Mac, it seems like I need to purchase an upgrade for 3->4 on Windows.

So which upgrade should I choose? If I choose the bundle upgrade, I "waste" money since the Mac update was free anyway (unless that eligible me to update to 1PW6), but if I choose the single Windows licence upgrade, what will happen to the bundle license the next time you release a new version which is a paid upgrade?

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

it seems like I need to purchase an upgrade for 3->4 on Windows.

Only if you have bought the old version before 2013. Otherwise, the upgrade to version 4 is FREE.

• Lerxst
    Lerxst
    Community Member
    Options

Well, 1PW4 for Windows reminds me that it's on a trial licence, and I bought the licence in August 2012, hence my question.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I bought the licence in August 2012

In that case, my advice is to enter your old license code here:

https://agilebits.com/store/upgrade?product_id=111

Our online store should present you with all the upgrade options that are available to you.

Thanks!

• Lerxst
    Lerxst
    Community Member
    Options

Sigh. Which leads me back to my original question.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @‌Lerxst

In your case all you need to do is buy the upgrade for the Windows version. The bundle is probably mostly going to benefit you on the first purchase but not so much thereafter because our releases tend to be staggered at this point.

Otherwise you are re-buying the same product again just to get a bundle, no sense in doing that. Going forward you'll either:

a) buy upgrades individually

b) wait until both upgrades are available that you have to pay for and upgrade the bundle as a whole.

Our upgrades are basically a percentage and it's the same no matter what product you bought (single, family, mac+windows bundle, etc). So under b, it's possible that you'd get a larger discount by buying a bundle, but at the same point you're also possibly waiting a much longer time. If I were in your shoes I'd go with a, it may cost slightly more but you're also always using the latest version. I also cannot predict the future and have no clue how all of this will work out the next time we release a Windows update or a Mac update. So, my advice at this point in time is to just buy a single user license for Windows and you're set. No sense in buying another Mac license just to get a bundle.

Let me know if that helps answer your question :)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Rather than simply advising you to "buy a single-user license for [1Password for] Windows", I'd clarify that you follow @svondutch‌'s advice in reply #4, above. Following those steps, you should be offered a discount on the purchase price for your single-user 1Password for Windows license. (Please let us know if you aren't.)

By the way, @Lerxst‌, we sincerely appreciate your having chosen 1Password. Thank you!

• Lerxst
    Lerxst
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent, thank you!
    @DBrown‌: Your password software is easily the best solution I have ever seen, so it' worth every cent. And I'm not just saying that.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you SO MUCH for those kind words, @Lerxst‌!

We love what we do, and we hope that shows in the product as well as in our interactions with awesome folks like you!

This discussion has been closed.