1Password for Windows not syncing icons from 1Password for Mac

Options
johnny808
johnny808
Community Member
edited October 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Something is wrong with the 1Password for Windows version (running latest 1Password Windows 4.1.0.526). I'm on Windows 8.1 64-bit. Using agilechain DropBox sync.

On 1Password for Mac, I have icons for all my entries, some of them my own custom icons. All the 1Password for Mac icons sync correctly to my 1Password iOS devices and to my 1Password Android phone, except for the custom icons . For some reason, 1Password for Windows is the only version where normal icons don't all sync. I thought that the icons are embedded in the database, so it's just a question of 1Password Windows correctly pulling those icons.

I'm afraid to save anything with this 1Password for Windows version. The missing icons might sync to all the other 1Passwords.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Starting with version 4, we do not include (do not save) icons with your vault. There are many reasons for this, but the #1 reason is reducing the size of your agilekeychain in the cloud.

On Windows, 1Password will download an icon for your Login item when you...

1. create a new Login item, or
    2. edit a Login item and change the URL, or
    3. edit a Login item and then press "Download Icon".

If you want to (re-)download all your icons, then please click on: File > Download Icons...

Your icons are saved in your Windows user profile (not in your 1Password vault). The exception to this rule are your custom icons (the ones you add to your vault when you double-click on the icon in edit mode). Custom icons are saved in your vault and do sync to the other platforms.

• johnny808
    johnny808
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@svondutch‌, thanks for the explanation.

I get it. Icons are downloaded from the url, and custom icons are saved in the 1Password vault. But still, File > Download icons is an extra step in Windows. The icons are downloaded automatically in the other platforms when 1Password is first opened. I got several icons in the Windows version that did not load automatically.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

@johnny808 Windows downloads icons automatically when you...

1. create a new Login item, or
    2. edit an existing Login item and change the URL

I got several icons in the Windows version that did not load automatically

You can download icons manually here:

1. click on: File > Download Icons, or
    2. edit an existing Login item and then press "Download Icon"
  • RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch, I think @johnny808‌ wants to know why it doesn't grab all of the icons automatically with no user intervention. He hinted that it does that on the Mac.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this was due to the privacy issues involved in providing your entire list of login urls to the 1Password icon service. I wasn't aware that the Mac did it automatically. If that is true, why the two different attitudes towards privacy?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I believe performance was another contributing factor in the decision on whether 1Password for Windows would download icons by default.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I believe performance was another contributing factor in the decision on whether 1Password for Windows would download icons by default.

ok, but I'd consider that reason to be invalid. You can fire off the download fire on a new thread and have it operate in the background and hence would not affect the perceived performance of the app.

• johnny808
    johnny808
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne‌, @svondutch‌, that's right: Icons are downloaded automatically on the Mac without any user input, but not on Windows for some reason.

Per svondutch's instructions, I did File > Download icons. All the missing icons got downloaded, except for 2. 1Password for Windows is complaining that icons cannot be bigger than 32KB. I'll reduce their size. However, 1Password for Mac never gave me a too big error about those same 2 icons. One icon is 73KB and the other is 36KB.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @johnny808‌!

This discussion has been closed.