locking email account

On iPhone how can I lock email accounts and alike without locking the phone itself? I would like to lock down my emails and alike. I use my iPhone to show future clients my work. I do 3d rendering of interiors.

Thanks for you time.

Comments

• MikeT
    edited December 2010
    Hi Paul, welcome to the forums!

It is not possible to lock your email application without locking down your iPhone. No applications in the App store can do this since there's a security lockdown by iOS to prevent any interaction between applications in iOS. This is done for security reasons such as preventing malware from infecting your iPhone.

If you want to prevent people from seeing your emails, you could try using a different email application that's available at the App store that includes a passcode lock. You can also use the web version of your email service, such as using our 1Password's built-in browser. For an example, if you use Gmail, go to your Gmail login in 1Password to log in instead of using Gmail via Mail.app. If you need notifications, Google has a Google Mobile app that'll push alerts for you and then you can visit Gmail in 1Password or via Mobile Safari if you want.

1Password isn't designed to lock down applications, it's designed for to help you with asimple centralized password management as well as some other features, like keeping the contents of your wallets, accounts information and so on.

I hope this answers your question.
  • Thank you for your input. After look in apple forums and found that there is no way to lock ones email. But there is a way to remove/disable the email. Thus if one can not see it, one can not access it. In my book (1password) is lock down, until one jailbreaks iPhone.

MikeT wrote:

Hi Paul, welcome to the forums!

It is not possible to lock your email application without locking down your iPhone. No applications in the App store can do this since there's a security lockdown by iOS to prevent any interaction between applications in iOS. This is done for security reasons such as preventing malware from infecting your iPhone.

If you want to prevent people from seeing your emails, you could try using a different email application that's available at the App store that includes a passcode lock. You can also use the web version of your email service, such as using our 1Password's built-in browser. For an example, if you use Gmail, go to your Gmail login in 1Password to log in instead of using Gmail via Mail.app. If you need notifications, Google has a Google Mobile app that'll push alerts for you and then you can visit Gmail in 1Password or via Mobile Safari if you want.

1Password isn't designed to lock down applications, it's designed for to help you with asimple centralized password management as well as some other features, like keeping the contents of your wallets, accounts information and so on.

I hope this answers your question.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    …there is a way to remove/disable the email. Thus if one can not see it, one can not access it.

This is one way, but make sure to completely remove the account or someone else could simple re-enable it in Settings.app and access your e-mail if they have unlocked access to your iPhone. ;-)

In my book (1password) is lock down, until one jailbreaks iPhone.

I may have misunderstood, but 1Password is very well-secured from even a jailbreak. We discussed iOS security in another thread (which was spurred on by some of our documentation on the issue).
This discussion has been closed.