Now that Apple supports iCloud disk on Windows…

Options

I own and use 1Password for Mac, Windows, and iOS, and I currently use Dropbox for syncing. iCloud wasn't an option because Apple only allows app-store apps to sync via iCloud.

Now that iCloud disk is supported on Windows, can that be used to store my 1Password keychain?

I'm guessing not, since it just appears a disk, and doesn't support the sync API with record locking and such.

But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm afraid not. On iOS 8 and OSX 10.10 we're using CloudKit (not iCloud Drive). CloudKit is exclusive to Apple devices.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/4/en/topic/cloudkit-faq

• stevenjklein
    stevenjklein
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, svondutch.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

As noted in the Syncing your 1Password data article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide:

• iCloud syncing, available in 1Password 4 and later for Mac, allows 1Password 4 or later for Mac and 1Password 4 or later for iOS to share and sync your 1Password data directly, but 1Password for Windows[1] and 1Password for non-iOS mobile devices do not yet support this option.
      Mac ←→ iOS
      Mac ←→ Mac
      iOS ←→ iOS

1 Technically, Apple does support iCloud Drive in Windows, but 1Password uses the CloudKit framework, which currently requires OS X Yosemite or iOS 8.

• André Bohnen
    André Bohnen
    Community Member
    Options

Will that be changed in the future? I would feel saver to sync with iCloud than with Dropbox even with my Windows PC.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Will that be changed in the future?

Ask Apple.

I would feel saver to sync with iCloud than with Dropbox even with my Windows PC.

Why? Apple are subject to the same laws that Dropbox is. Your security is in your master password, not the security of the sync service.

• André Bohnen
    André Bohnen
    Community Member
    Options

Why Apple? Is there nothing to change by AgileBits (CloudKit <-> iCloud Drive)? I understand so, if the iOS/Mac version would save the keychain so that it stored in iCloud drive, that I can access it as well with die iCloud Drive tool in windows.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Cloudkit is Apple's new interface to iCloud for applications to use. 1Password, as I understand it, has now switched to CloudKit as it provides many benefits over iCloud Drive. The trouble is, Apple are being their usual provincial selves and have not release CloudKit support on Windows.

Potentially Agilebits could have left 1Password storing files in iCloud Drive rather than using CloudKit but then they'd end up in a technological backwater. The problem here is that Apple refuse to acknowledge the existence of anything that is not Apple.

Also bear in mind that Apple's support of basic iCloud Drive functions in Windows is fairly new. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the re-engineering to CloudKit was already well underway when it was released.

This discussion has been closed.