Dropbox Sync

Options

I am a new fully registered user of 1PW and I am setting everything up and following the steps in the manual which clearly states in both the on-line version and the downloadable PDF that I should go to "Preferences > Sync Tab" **THERE ISN'T A SYNC TAB **. I purchased this product over the other web based product because I was led to believe that this one was easier to use. So far - not feeling like that is true.

Furthermore there is nowhere to go for help...except maybe here. As a registered (AKA Paid) customer and there is no support chat or email for me?! ...there is a "was this helpful" button at the bottom that when you press it, they thank you for your feedback (side note: Why isn't there an input box that asks you why this wasn't helpful...it would make me think you may possibly care)

Sorry for the venting but Straight out of the gate and after following the instructions I am not really liking the experiance.

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like a bad copy and paste job from the Mac documentation @DBrown.

@Coffee, on Windows you just need to store your vault in your system's Dropbox folder. If you already have a vault then you can use the "Move to Dropbox" button in Preferences > General.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

following the steps in the manual which clearly states in both the on-line version and the downloadable PDF that I should go to "Preferences > Sync Tab" **THERE ISN'T A SYNC TAB **

Where did you download this manual? Sounds like you're reading the Mac manual (not the Windows manual).

Furthermore there is nowhere to go for help...

Here are the links to the Windows manual and the Windows knowledgebase.

there is no support chat or email for me?

Sure there is: support+windows AT agilebits DOT com

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Where did you download this manual? Sounds like you're reading the Mac manual (not the Windows manual).

LOL @svondutch, I thought exactly the same thing. However, if you actually look at the Windows dropbox sync guide you'll find that step 3 does mention a Sync tab.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/setting-up-dropbox-sync

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

If you're talking about the Setting up Dropbox sync article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide, here's what it says:

If you haven't saved Logins and other items in 1Password for Mac that you want to get into 1Password for Windows, you wouldn't follow those instructions, which definitely do not mention a Sync tab in 1Password for Windows.

There are separate instructions if you have Logins and other items in 1Password for iOS that you want to get into 1Password for Windows and separate instructions if you don't yet have Dropbox set up at all.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, ok. I just wasn't expecting Mac instructions on the Windows help pages. You normally link to related articles rather than duplicating their content.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RichardPayne, thank you for the input, sorry for any confusion about that! :smile:

• Peter_Pappas
    Peter_Pappas
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi Coffee,

As a fairly new user myself I can give you some insight. The first thing I learned is no matter which password software you go with there definitely will be a learning curve window of time. This business of protecting your passwords and log-in procedures is serious and the bad guys are very serious about getting into normal people's computers and stealing the money out of our accounts.

There is no software out there that operates like the "set-it-and-forget-it" mindset that the television has conditioned us into believing. One of the first mistakes I made was to try a number of different password softwares. Some of them can be a bear to remove from your computer system and embed themselves deeply into your computer. When you decide you don't like one of them, getting rid of them can be a monumental task.

After try many different systems this 1PW software winds up at the top of the heap. But after happily buying it it honestly took me a week of determined effort to be rolling smoothly with it. My thoughts are you are just going to have to suck it up and just go thru the storm. In the end, I think you will be very happy with the software, but you are going to hit "walls" like you just did all along the way.

The good news is this forum has many people both from the company itself and users that actually will guide you along the way. The bad news is they have been doing it so long they can be a bit abrupt after answering the same questions over and over for so long. But there isn't something "better" out there you can jump to so you have to go thru "the birthing cycle" until you get up and running. I still run across a strange situation after a couple of months of running 1PW and when I ask about it here the responses can be abrupt. but you DO get the response, and you CAN stick with it and someone will step in and lead you thru it and of the top 5 password softwares this one is really the best one going.

So I encourage you to stick with it and the end result will be a much safer environment for your online experience. Heck, it took me 2 weeks to learn my passphrase just to open the 1PW software lol. But now at least I know I have done the most I can do to "be safer". And remember a lot of the instructions are written by "tech heads" that live in a software environment and a software lingo unlike you and me :) (not picking on anyone, I would probably be considered a dummy by many - lol) But they try really hard, so focus on cutting them some slack and honestly you WILL get your problems solved one at a time :)

Peter

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Ah, ok. I just wasn't expecting Mac instructions on the Windows help pages. You normally link to related articles rather than duplicating their content.

To set up Dropbox syncing in that scenario (1Password on Mac is wanted on PC), you have to set up Dropbox syncing in 1Password for Mac; that's why the instructions are included in the setup procedure: they're a critical part of the procedure.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

As for running into walls, we strongly urge customers to read at least the "Quick Start" section of the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide.

It's a 10-minute investment that could save you hours of frustration.

• Coffee
    Coffee
    Community Member
    Options

Lots to answer here...and I am leaving this before I have solved the issue but I want to say the following:
    1. The fact that there are answers here means that a community of users (and moderators) gives me a great deal of comfort
    2. One note suggested that I ready the Quick Start - Great advice - I have - was there something specific that you were referring to? ...is this the kind of thing you are talking about Peter?
    3. I agree that I will just have to suck it up. I am doing that and I hope that I am in the right place (with the right product) I saw reviews of how much LastPass sucked because it was too hard to use. It was that and two step authentication that made me opt for 1PW (and I did use both for a week each - just not fully committed)

I guess this is sort of like a thank you for the posts above. I hope that I can solve the big pain points that I have and make it work. I am still trying to get my head around lots of it but basically I want to become a power user that gets results out of anything that I use. It still drives me nuts when I find out that I have been doing something as a work around when the functionality exists but is poorly documented, badly supported, or deeply buried.

Just a quick list of short term goals:
    1. Be able to use it from any machine or phone that I am on (Multiple Windows PC's and an Android Phone)
    2. Use two step authentication
    3. Figure out how to use 1PW efficiently, which I will initally define as being able to generate long hard pass-characters without cutting and pasting, then being able to login to all my password protected sites more efficiently. I am currently using the Auto-type feature alot and I am thinking I am missing something somehow.

In any respect, thank you again for the feedback - I expect we will be talking more in the not so distant...

/Coffee

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

@Coffee, no one at AgileBits will ever tell you to suck it up—I promise.

If you have specific questions, please do ask them here in the forum. As you've noted, there's a large community of AgileBits team members and passionate 1Password users who are generous with their time and experience.

Regarding your short-term goals, listed above:

1. You probably know that you can share and sync your 1Password data between your PCs and Android devices using Dropbox, as explained in the "Syncing your 1Password data" article and the "Setting up Dropbox sync" article in the user's guide. I trust you'll find the 1Password for Android user's guide is useful in helping you learn how to use 1Password on your Android device.

2. 1Password is not specifically designed to work with two-step authentication, which is a broad term that covers many types of security measure. One such type is multiple-page Logins that include "random" security questions. The "Creating multiple-page Login items" article in the user's guide addresses that particular type, and the model it presents may be adaptable to certain other types. Please ask if you have questions about any particular situations you encounter.

3. The user's guide and the knowledgebase (linked from the "Still need help?" article in the user's guide) are intended to help you do just that. The "quick start" section gives you the bare minimum for saving and using Login items and for creating stronger passwords at sites where you already have an account; the "introduction" section gives you details of the 1Password user interface; the "configuring" section tells you what you can do by going beyond the default settings; and the "using" section deals with things you might encounter as you become more familiar with 1Password. The knowledgebase covers troubleshooting tips and answers to common questions relating to use of 1Password and related third-party products that you might have installed on your computer.

As for auto-type, here's the introductory snippet from the "Using auto-type" article in the user's guide:

1Password for Windows includes an alternate method, called auto-type, for filling the occasional form in which the standard fill method is blocked. (Do let us know when you find a site where the standard method doesn’t work; we’re always looking for ways to improve our form-filling algorithms!)

The implication is that auto-type is intended for use only when the standard filling method fails for some reason.

The introduction continues:

Another nifty use of auto-type is with programs that aren’t web browsers. You just need to have a Login item saved with the username and password.

Note, though, that 1Password for Windows now includes somewhat more integrated support, as explained in the "Creating an application Login" article.

• Peter_Pappas
    Peter_Pappas
    Community Member
    Options

Coffee - you picked the right one. I tried quite a few of them, and sometimes, like I said, uninstalling some of them can be a bear. This software - 1Password - seems to be the best thought out one and the people writing the code are the people in here to help you. Did I mention there is a learning curve lol? That is because the general public (us) has not had an immersion into the protection and attack schemes that go on and we are used to the wonderful internet that was a friendly place - but no longer is. Just thank God these guys in 1PW are on our side lol. They have thought of things and ways the "bad guys" are after our stuff that we can't even begin to comprehend. They live it and breath it, we get the benefits :)

After your adjustment period to get everything puttering smoothly it all seems to just work - and really well too. When it doesn't, it is good to know you can come here and communicate with the top people straight away.

Peter

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @Peter_Pappas‌!

This discussion has been closed.