Upgrading 1Password 1

cschultz
cschultz
Community Member
edited October 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I purchased 1Password 1 in July, 2012 and loved it until the Chrome extension stopped working (related to Chrome's add-on ban). After that happened, I pretty much stopped using 1Password because it was easier to type the majority of passwords than copy them from a separate application. I checked occasionally for a fix but eventually gave up.

This week, I saw that 1Password4 was available and that it included a new Chrome extension - yippee!

I downloaded, installed, and it didn't accept my license key. The initial error message was pretty vague so emailed support, then did some research and discovered that I need to purchase an upgraded license. (BTW, three days later, no word from support).

I originally purchased 1Password because it had a handy Chrome extension that would make my life much easier. This feature stopped working in the version I paid for so I'm frustrated that I'd have to pay to get it back.

Trust me, I understand why companies offer paid upgrades. They're usually well worth it, with plenty of new features. But from my standpoint, I'll have to pay for a feature that was advertised in the version I purchased and is no longer available. Very disappointing.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I don't know about any Chrome "extension ban"—1Password for Windows has had a working Chrome extension since the day version 1 was released.

As you know, we extend a free upgrade to people who purchased a 1Password for Windows license in 2013 or 2014 and a significant discount to people who have used it longer than that, a whopping twenty-one months and counting.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

After that happened, I pretty much stopped using 1Password because it was easier to type the majority of passwords than copy them from a separate application.

Either you have a spectacularly good memory or your passwords neither long enough or unique enough.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

I don't know about any Chrome "extension ban"—1Password for Windows has had a working Chrome extension since the day version 1 was released.

A while ago Google banned non-Chrome Web Store extensions. 1Password had been offering a CWS extension before it became mandatory though, so I think the ban only affected some users that were still using the non-CWS extension. I had to manually remove the old extension and replace it with the one from CWS (both were the version 3 extension for version 1 of the main program).

EDIT: Here's an earlier thread:

1Password no longer allowed by Chrome [Update to the Chrome web store version of 1P extension]

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@Xe997, thanks for finding & posting that link to the older thread! :smile:

@cschultz, as has already been mentioned, you should be able to get the extension to work in Chrome whether you're using the old or new version of 1Password. You can find steps to do that in the above link. Specifically, please see Stefan's steps in post #9 on how to switch over to the Chrome Web Store version of 1Password. Those steps should work for whichever version of the 1Password program is currently installed.

By the way, if you're curious about the new features in 1Password 4 for Windows, you can read about them here: 1Password 4 for Windows is here

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

In his post #9 in that linked thread, @svondutch shows how to install the 1Password extension from the Browsers tab of 1Password preferences, the only recommended method and the method that ensures you get an extension (regardless of whether it's a beta- or stable-build version of the extension) that is compatible with your version of 1Password.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

You can read all about 1Password 4 for Windows in the user's guide, accessible from the Help menu and from the support area of our web site.

• cschultz
    cschultz
    Community Member

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I didn't realize there was a Chrome extension available for earlier versions and appreciate you pointing me in that direction.

I installed the extension and am having issues getting it to connect (it's counting up without actually connecting) but I'll troubleshoot that separately. Once I clear the connection hurdle, that should work until I upgrade to 1P4.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Start a new thread, and let us know how we can help, @cschultz‌.

This discussion has been closed.