Importing from Datavault? [Converter Available]

Options
2»

Comments

• jackwag
    jackwag
    Community Member
    Options

I would be very interested in a converter from DataVault to 1Password. I just invested in 1Password for Mac, Windows, and iOS and am switching from RoboForm and DataVault; combining the data from both into 1Password. I've added my really important items as I've gone along, but would really like to get all my other stuff from DataVault into 1Password. At the very least, I'd like to get it into it's own vault. I have a mix of data and some custom notes. I've never used DataVault's login integration at all, so I'd be happy if I could get everything across into secure notes. Thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@cyberzombie and @jackwag,

FYI : The converter is about 90% done. I'm finishing up by adding the remaining stock types.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Options

@cyberzombie and @jackwag,

I've just pushed an update to the 1.04 version in the _testing folder referenced here.

Be sure to convert and import on the same OS platform. After you've converted, you can import the 1PIF on either platform.

We can discuss any customizations you might need after you've tried out the initial conversion and import.

Note: I have not tested the converter using the Mac Store version of DataVault. Its output file will likely be slightly different than the Windows output CSV. I did do the development and testing of the converter on OS X, but had to tweak the converter temporarily to work with the Windows generated CSV. As soon as someone needs to convert from the Mac version of DataVault, I'll get a copy of DataVault for OS X and ensure it works on OS X as well.

CC: @NeilATL

• cyberzombie
    cyberzombie
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC I will try it out on OS X when I get home.

• jackwag
    jackwag
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC I may have misunderstood part of what you said, but I got it to work. I downloaded the file and read the instructions. Where I might have misunderstood is the part about the Windows generated CSV. I understood that I needed to export from the Windows version of Datavault to CSV. I primarily use Mac OS, but have a Windows virtual machine with Datavault that I used for that part. I then moved the CSV to Mac OS (Yosemite) and tried the conversion from there. I received the following error:

Unexpected failure parsing CSV: row 1 at Converters/Datavault.pm line 240, <$io> line 1.
    Imported 0 cards
    Exported 0 total items

I looked at the CSV file in Excel and couldn't get any clues as to where the error was located. Therefore, before posting here, I decided to try an export from my Mac OS Datavault. I still received an error, but this time, it told me the line in the file where the error occurred and converted everything up to that line. I opened the file in Excel (Mac OS) and found the offending line and discovered it was blank; therefore, I deleted it. One note here, when I saved the file as default Excel Mac OS CSV, I received the same error I did on the version I brought over from Datavault for Windows. To remedy that error, I opened it again and saved it in "Windows Comma Separated (.csv)" format. After that was done, the conversion worked for all my records (~ 700), and I was able to import that into a new 1Password Vault.

All-in-all, it was a success. Thanks MrC!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Options

That's the problem. I don't support Exporting on one OS while Converting on another OS. The file's format on Windows will differ because of line separator differences, and possibly character encoding differences. Furthermore, some password managers output different data formats altogether, and some include what's called a BOM (a file encoding marker at the beginning of a file). The requirements for using convert_to_1p4 is to Export and Convert on the same OS. You can then take the resulting 1PIF and import on either platform.

I wouldn't trust your method yet, since I don't know how DataVault for Mac encodes its data (so you'll want to check for any botched characters above the standard ASCII (e.g. characters such as é or ß). The Windows version I think uses Latin1, but I'm not sure about the Mac version since I have not yet tested it.

• cyberzombie
    cyberzombie
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC Perl! The language of real men ;)

• cyberzombie
    cyberzombie
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

@MrC THANK YOU! I got everything to import after some regex parsing of embedded quote characters (had to manually edit a couple where it had a comma-quote in the password as ([^,])"([^,]) was what I used). Using the -d (debug) option helped as well given I had multi-line notes that caused the ROW count convert_to_1p4 gave to not align with the CSV.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have a look to see what DataVault is doing to the exported CSV. I'd like it to be the case that a user does not have to massage the data before the converter works. There are options I can enable in the CSV converter to deal with sloppy CSV encoding.

You're saying you found comma-quote had a problem in the password field?

• cyberzombie
    cyberzombie
    Community Member
    Options

No - it had a problem with the quote inside of a quoted password field. Something that renders an invalid CSV (DataVault isn't escaping like it should). The comma-quote is all my fault - the regex I used to properly escape embedded quotes didn't catch embedded quotes with a leading comma (and wouldn't have caught a trailing comma either).

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi @cyberzombie ,

I tested various DataVault CSV export quoting scenarios with double quotes and comma within the password field for Login templates. I don't see any issues with DataVault's CSV output. All tested data was exported correctly. Double quotes are properly doubled for escapement.

If you could provide me with a sample password that fails proper quoting, I'll investigate further.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

An update - while working on the converters, I discovered that DataVault does indeed botch the CSV export for certain valules. The following password value will create an ambiguous CSV file ,"secret"stuff".

The converter will detect this problem, and emit an error, leaving this entry for manual transfer.

This discussion has been closed.