Subdomain detection not working on Windows

kathampy
kathampy
Community Member
edited November 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have passwords saved for sub1.domain.com and sub2.domain.com but 1Password keeps popping up all passwords for *.domain.com whenever I try to fill passwords on any particular subdomain. The subdomains in the form details of each item are exact. It does not work in IE11 or Firefox on Windows. It does work properly on Safari and Firefox on OS X though.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Subdomains should be moved to the top of the popup menu (above "Show X more items"). If you're not seeing this, can you share those URLs with us, please? Thanks!

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

I don't want the popup at all when there is only one matching subdomain. I don't even have any Logins for the parent domain.com, yet it shows logins from both sub1.domain.com and sub2.domain.com when I am on sub1.domain.com. If I press Ctrl + \ on sub1.domain.com it should auto-fill without the popup. This is how it works on OS X.

I have multiple intranet sites which are all the same parent domain and it's extremely annoying to click the correct one from the menu every time.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I don't want the popup at all when there is only one matching subdomain.

Here's when the popup menu does not appear:

1. You have one Login item for the current domain (and one Login item only)
    2. You have multiple Login items for the current domain. One of them matches the current URL (minus URL arguments), and none of the others do.

In all other situations, the popup menu does appear. This is by design.

I don't even have any Logins for the parent domain.com, yet it shows logins from both sub1.domain.com and sub2.domain.com when I am on sub1.domain.com.

It would help if you could give us those URLs, otherwise we keep searching for a needle in a haystack. Domain matching is complex code, based upon the Mozilla public suffix list.

Thanks!

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

The two URLs are:

I have exactly one login for each. I do not get the popup on Mac. It only pops up on Windows. I have no other logins on that parent domain.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

@kathampy Starting with version 4.1.0.BETA-528, Ctrl+\ domain matching is going to be more lenient for sub-domains, hereby bypassing the popup menu more often (provided "lenient URL matching" is turned on). Thanks!

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

But "Lenient URL Matching" is turned off on Mac and it still doesn't pop up for those two URLs. Are you saying that the matching is different on Windows? Why does it need to be lenient if the subdomain and protocol match perfectly and there are no other possible logins?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I think what @svondutch is saying is that at the moment, if you have lenient matching turned on then it sees two logins that matching the primary domain and never goes on to try to match a specific subdomain.

The Mac not popping up the menu when Lenient URL Matching if off is to be expected as it will only ever attempt to match a single result.

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

Lenient URL Matching is turned off on Windows. It should only display logins that exactly match the subdomain. Why is it displaying logins from another subdomain?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

It should only display logins that exactly match the subdomain.

No, it should display every Login item that matches the current domain (sorted alphabetically). Any Login item that matches the current sub-domain is then moved to the top of the list (above "Show X more items").

Why is it displaying logins from another subdomain?

It displays every Login item that matches the current domain. This is by design.

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member

But it's NOT like this on Mac. I use both versions every day and they're both synced to the same keychain! Both have Lenient unchecked. The same two URLs I posted above are the ones affected. No popup on Mac - fills the exact subdomain directly. Pops up on Windows with both subdomains.

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member

I've made a further observation:
    The URL that ends with the full file name (https://netsafe.hdfcbank.com/ACSWeb/enrolljsp/loginUser.jsp) fills exactly (as expected), but the open-ended one pops up (https://netbanking.hdfcbank.com/netbanking).

On Mac, even the open-ended one fills directly.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

But it's NOT like this on Mac

Mac is the same, but it seems to be more lenient when it decides to log in immediately (eg. bypass the popup menu)

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

What does Lenient do right now? When will it ever fill a subdomain directly if there is only one login for that subdomain, but also logins for other subdomains.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

What does Lenient do right now?

It does a number of things, but most importantly: it turns on multiple URLs in your web browser on Windows.

When will it ever fill a subdomain directly if there is only one login for that subdomain, but also logins for other subdomains.

4.1.0.BETA-528

This discussion has been closed.