[Suggestion] Duplication Option for Entries - "Replace user names and passwords by reference"

Psychor
Psychor
Community Member
edited November 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi,

KeePass has a great option when duplicating an entry - "Replace user names and passwords by reference." Essentially, this allows the duplicated entry to link to the contents of another entry. After the duplicate is created you can edit the new entry however you like - e.g., you can remove/modify the links or overwrite them with static information. This feature has come in handy and I thought I'd share it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi Psychor,

Thanks for the feedback.
    Just so I understand what you mean:

1. You select an entry that you wish to duplicate.
    2. Instead of creating an exact duplicate, you get the choice to replace certain data inside the entry with data from another entry.
    3. You save the modified duplicate and it becomes a regular entry that you can edit however you wish.

Doesn this result in the user having to make sure not to reuse passwords, just like with a standard duplication feature?

Cheers

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I read that request as being able to create a link from the duplicate to the original. Assuming you didn't edit the duplicate then the duplicate fields would always reflect the values in the original, even if you edited the original. If you then edited the duplicate then only the fields that you changed would have this link broken and become fixed. Any unedited fields would still be linked to the original.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I've heard of no plans to create anything like a "linked" or "dependent" item type.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

@Psychor Isn't the beauty of having a password manager like 1Pwd that you don't have to reuse login credentials for different accounts? In fact, best practice is not reuse credentials.

Having said that, there is already a feature in 1Pwd that does support what you want. You can enter more than one URL for a login item. That allows you to share the same credentials for different URLs.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@m w‌ there are scenarios, especially in corporate environments where your single domain login is used for all sorts of different systems that handle directory access behind the scemes. 1Password has no way to know that these are shared credentials, unlike with web based single sign on services where typically the source site redirects to the signon providers portal page.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

That's right and that's exactly how I used my 1Pwd :-)

There are a few websites where you access different areas (i.e. different URLs) with the same credentials. And especially for accessing various systems at work I have a list of different URLs that I use with the same credentials. For all these scenarios, the already existing multi-URL feature in 1Pwd is sufficient.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

And especially for accessing various systems at work I have a list of different URLs that I use with the same credentials. For all these scenarios, the already existing multi-URL feature in 1Pwd is sufficient.

There's the rub though, the credentials can be entered in different ways. None of our internal systems select the username in the same way and only two of them use a simply textbox! Multi-urls is only part of the problem.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't actually like @Psychor's idea; I think it would be a maintenance nightmare but the system as it stands at the moment is awkward and buggy and anything other than simple setups.

• Psychor
    Psychor
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

Hi Psychor,

Thanks for the feedback. Just so I understand what you mean:

You select an entry that you wish to duplicate.

Instead of creating an exact duplicate, you get the choice to replace certain data inside the entry with data from another entry.
    You save the modified duplicate and it becomes a regular entry that you can edit however you wish.
    Doesn this result in the user having to make sure not to reuse passwords, just like with a standard duplication feature?

Cheers

@AlexHoffmann

Hi and thanks for taking the time to respond Alex. No, I'm not recommending that a simple duplication feature be added.

1. You select a current entry to duplicate (e.g., an entry which contains a username and password);
    2. You select an option to make a completely duplicate of that entry and the new entry contains the username and password of the original; OR
    3. You select an option to make a duplicate of that entry but with, for example, the username and password referencing back to the original entry. Think of it as a symbolic link of sorts. If the original entry is modified the duplicated entry is modified but by reference - the contents of the duplicated entry are not actually changed but remain able to be changed by a user should a user no longer wish one or more elements from the duplicated entry reference back to the original entry.

Step 3 is the part that I'm specifically recommending. I'm sure that you all have a copy of KeePass installed somewhere for testing - fire it up and give it a try. :wink:

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@Psychor‌ You can accomplish (1) and (2) when you press Ctrl+D. We do not support (3).

• Psychor
    Psychor
    Community Member

@svondutch

Thanks. Something to consider for future versions then. :smile:

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know that would be useful to you, @Psychor‌!

This discussion has been closed.