Bootcamp and Windows Use of 1Password 5 Vault

Good day!

I purchased my 1Password 5 for my iMac & MacBook Pro from the App Store. I sync through iCloud and it works wonderfully across all my devices.

But... I have my iMac and MacBook Pro bootcamped, so my next step is to try and get the version (1Password 4) on my Windows side to sync with the same Vault as my Mac side. I've tried unsuccessfully to use the same backup - the extensions are different.

Do I need to set up a separate Vault just for my Windows side? I prefer to not keep two different Vaults both holding the exact same information. Any thoughts or advice for anyone Bootcamped?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

Thanks for joining the 1Password family, @Hoku!

First, sync and backup are unrelated. Backup files are created, intended, and suitable for use only in restoring data to 1Password on the platform on which they were created. (We may unify the backup format in some future release.)

Sync, on the other hand, keeps your 1Password up to date on multiple platforms automatically. You can read about Sync options in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide.

Even though you're running Mac OS and Windows on the same physical machine, we recommend you sync your 1Password data between them as if they were separate machines. That means your options are Dropbox and folder-based syncing, as described in that user's guide article.

Just follow the instructions to set up Dropbox on the Mac side, select Dropbox syncing in 1Password for Mac, let Dropbox copy your data up to your private dropbox.com web site, set up Dropbox on the Windows side (associated with the same Dropbox account), let Dropbox copy your data down to Windows from your private dropbox.com web site, install 1Password for Windows, and select the vault it finds in your local Windows Dropbox storage.

• Hoku
    Hoku
    Community Member

Thank you!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

We're always glad to help @Hoku. Thank you for using 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.