WiFI Sync Problems Windows 4 and iOS

Northwoods
Northwoods
Community Member
edited November 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I'm having some challenges getting WiFi sync to work between my 1P4 installation on W7 and iOS 8.1. I'm pretty sure the challenge is that my wireless router separates wireless traffic and LAN traffic and they that run on two different subnets. This is great for security but your product seems to have issues with this. I am migrating from another product to yours and have manual WiFi syncing working fine with their product across these subnets. Like theirs, your Mac documentation seems to indicate that you can "sync by IP address" if you go to the Advanced options but I can't find this functionality in your Windows product. So a couple of questions:

1) Where do I find the "Sync by IP address" configuration in your windows product?

2) Confirm that syncing takes place across port 5353 when syncing from Windows to iOS or tell me what ports are used to initiate and maintain sync

3) Give me some indication of the communications flow. Which platform is listening for a broadcast and which side is initiating the transfer

Storing/syncing all my passwords via the cloud isn't really an option here so hope to get this up and running on WiFi and transitioned to your product.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Wi-fi sync requires that the devices be on the same subnet. I don't know for sure but I suspect that this is because 1Password uses network broadcasts to discover other devices to sync with. Network broadcasts are not propagated across subnets, otherwise you could potentially end up broadcasting to the entire internet. ;)

As far as I'm aware there is no way to specify the IP directly.

• Northwoods
    Northwoods
    Community Member

Thanks Richard.
    Your online Mac documentation clearly shows the option to specify the IP directly. Is this functionality missing in the Windows product?
    Can you tell me what ports the Windows product is using for the sync communication?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Your online Mac documentation clearly shows the option to specify the IP directly

Not my documentation. ;)
    I had a quick at it though and couldn't see what you were talking about. Do you have a link?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Your online Mac documentation clearly shows the option to specify the IP directly.

Where are you seeing this?

Is this functionality missing in the Windows product?

I'm afraid so :(

Can you tell me what ports the Windows product is using for the sync communication?

We use Apple Bonjour for your iOS device to discover your Windows (or Mac) desktop. On Windows, Bonjour needs port 5353. Then we have a WebSocket (HTTP) server that listens to port 6262.

• Northwoods
    Northwoods
    Community Member

Yep, maybe not yours but clearly AgileBits. It's included in the WiFi troubleshooting documentation about midway through the document. It shows how to configure a specific a IP address for Manual WiFi synchronization. From the documentation it would seem that the desktop device is reaching out to the mobile device using a fixed IP address and fixed (probably UDP) ports. As the documentation points out, IP addresses for these devices can change, this is not an issue for me as both devices have fixed IP addresses while connected to my network.

http://aws.cachefly.net/1Password_touch/sync_problems.html

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Yep, maybe not yours but clearly AgileBits.

So definitely nothing to do with me then. :stuck_out_tongue:

It's included in the WiFi troubleshooting documentation about midway through the document. It shows how to configure a specific a IP address for Manual WiFi synchronization. http://aws.cachefly.net/1Password_touch/sync_problems.html

That looks like somewhat old documentation. Up to date information here: https://agilebits.com/support

Which versions are you running?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

It's included in the WiFi troubleshooting documentation about midway through the document.

Oops, that document is very old. I'm afraid it does not apply to 1Password 4+ :(

I will ask our doc team to take it down. Thanks!

• Northwoods
    Northwoods
    Community Member

@RichardPayne‌
    Old? Not too. The documentation was posted in 2013 and continues to be included in your Mac FAQ as a Troubleshooting Guide. If accurate it shows functionality and foresight that hasn't made it into your Windows product. Any plans? As for versions - all products were purchased and downloaded last night so I'm assuming the latest and greatest is what I have.

@svondutch‌
    Thanks. So I'm guessing it's an initial broadcast and response and then the exchange is made via HTTP(s) once the connection, handshaking and passwords have been confirmed. Without the ability to drive the initial discovery across subnets I think I'm going to be screwed on this one. Clearly someone was thinking when they included the direct IP functionality in the Mac version but sad to hear that functionality isn't consistent across platform implementations and Windows doesn't get it all. Any chance of getting this on a development wish list for the Windows platform? More than happy to help with testing. Without it WiFi syncing isn't going to fair well in more advanced networks or enterprise environments. Seems to be geared for big store routers where they just dump WiFi traffic right on to the LAN segment.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

Any plans? As for versions - all products were purchased and downloaded last night so I'm assuming the latest and greatest is what I have

I've no idea. You'd have to ask someone who works for Agilebits.

in the Mac version but sad to hear that functionality isn't consistent across platform implementations and Windows doesn't get it all.

From what I can see this has nothing to do with 1Password for Windows. Both the OSX and Windows programs setup themselves up as "server" and allow 1Password for iOS to connect to them. The issue here seems to be that an older version of 1Password for iOS had the ability to specify an IP rather than using automatic discovery, but this appears to have been removed in later versons. Would be interesting to know why.

Without it WiFi syncing isn't going to fair well in more advanced networks or enterprise environments.

Frankly I can't see enterprises relying on adhoc syncing like wi-fi. They're far more likely to want to use a private cloud if the public clouds are acceptable.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

they included the direct IP functionality in the Mac version

I don't think 1Password for Mac version 4 (or version 5) has this feature.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

All the documentation for current (and recent) versions of our software is here: https://guides.agilebits.com/index.html

You can also get documentation for the version you're using from its Help menu.

I hope that helps, @Northwoods‌. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for using 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.