Sync between 3 PC computers on Home Network

Greetings,

What should the proper way to sync 3 PC computers on my home network (Win 7 Pro 64bit) without using Dropbox share function?
I have read that sharing the common vault on the network share is to be avoided.

I thank you in advance for any suggestion.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

It is to be avoided, @J23, for satisfactory performance and, more important, for data integrity.

Your sync options are detailed in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide.

• Hi @J23,

What do you use to sync files between your computers? If you're using a network share, is it from a NAS and if yes, does it have a sync tool built in?

• J23
    J23
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

Hullo,

All 3 computers are on WLAN/LAN Home Network. I have got 3 NAS as well. Thus I can get access to all data on the network.

I thought I could place a 1Password.agilekeychain on NAS (ex WD MyCloud) to be accessible from any computer on network and from any other place via ftp or web access to its content. Using this method (sharing agilekey... on network) I could have a single shared file for 3 computers without using a Dropbox server.

I completely ignore, alas, if WD My Cloud or WD My Book Live has a mentioned by you sync tool built in.
    But I think I can sync data using WD backup utility by pointing the precise data to sync by setting up backup/sync in this case schedule.

If it is a case, what should be your advice/suggestion?
    Would it be the solution to the issue in question - manage to securely sync all the computers on Windows Home Network with NAS (and an iPad wifi sync) without using Dropbox?

As far as I understand the recommended method is to put the sgile...(what a word!) file on Ddropbox server and backing it regularly and automatically on each computer (via 1Password backup utility), am I right?
    Yes, indeed the connection stability would be questionable though.

Would you mind confirming or contradicting the above, please?
    Thank you in advance.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

You could use Wi-Fi to sync 1Password for Windows on each of the three PCs to 1Password for iOS on the iPad.

Wi-Fi (with 1Password for Windows) is still a manual sync, rather than automatic like Dropbox, but at least you'd be staying with the range of supported sync methods.

• J23
    J23
    Community Member

It seems that Wi-Fi sync works only between PC and iPad in my case and not between PC computers on home network.
    Is this right?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

Yes, as noted in the Syncing your 1Password data article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide.

That's why I wrote that you could "use Wi-Fi to sync 1Password for Windows on each of the three PCs to 1Password for iOS on the iPad."

I hope that helps, @J23!

(Note that Wi-Fi sync [desktop computer ←→ iOS device] uses your home network, too.)

• stevenol
    stevenol
    Community Member

Hi!

I recommend you use KrojamSoft SyncFile. it is fast and easier

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for that tip, @stevenol!

@J23, please note that only the methods documented in the Syncing your 1Password data article are formally supported.

This discussion has been closed.