1Password crashing when importing data from RoboForm

Comments

• newbietoo
    newbietoo
    Community Member

I appreciate this is a Mac forum, but I couldn't find where to post this comment in the Windows forum...

I've been checking on threads re importing from Roboform for over a year now and I must say AgileBits attitude to this issue beggars belief. Guys there's millions of Roboform users out there, many dissatisfied. Why can you not come up with a comprehensive and succinct explanation of how to get data from RF to 1Password? Following is my experience. The process isn't complicated although 1P's (V4) constant crashing makes it more tedious than it should be.

I note the mention here that Agile doesn't have Roboform. Guys, I mean really?? Why not just splash out the $29.95 and get a copy and give it a try. I'm sure you'll get an ROI.

I did what is suggested here by reference to other posts. I installed RF 6.9.99 (legitimately...I have a license). I 'printed' my 400-odd logins as an html file, which is straightforward. I then imported that to 1P, which is where the fun started. It took numerous attempts as P1 crashed at random times (i.e. at record 51, then at 77, then at 101 etc) . Each was a separate attempt. You can't simply re-start the import as it duplicates the records already there. So you need to delete the existing records. Well no, you can't do that as P1 crashed every time I tried to bulk delete records. Instead, you start from scratch and create a new keychain.

However as it crashed on every import attempt, I then tried importing records one at a time and that worked. To do that, instead of clicking 'Yes to All' when it asks if you want to import the first record, just hit 'Yes', then keep the Enter key pressed so you're effectively hitting 'Yes' for every subsequent pop-up. The import goes quick quickly then and it completes without crashing, at least it did in my case.

Also, as a separate issue, I copied and pasted a (large) RF Safenote into a 1P Secure Note. When I view the Note in 1P my entire screen goes blank i.e. black (I'm not kidding). It then displays again for a few seconds and goes blank again. It keeps that up switching every 2 seconds or so, until I get out of Secure Notes. I find it quite disconcerting how 1P can impact my PC like that. I'm on x64 Win 7 Pro

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

Hi @newbietoo,

I've moved your comment to the 1Password for Windows forum.

Sorry to hear of your troubles with importing Roboform Passcard data, causing 1Password to crash, and copying/pasting a Safenote. Someone from our Windows team will help you out with these issues as soon as possible.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

Thanks for letting us know what worked for you on importing (clicking "Yes" to each individual record, which must've been annoying). My own experiment (conducted ages ago, but I don't recall hearing the RF-data importer has changed) didn't include nearly as many Passcards but went quite smoothly.

As far as we know, there's no alternative to rolling back to a version of Roboform that includes the "include URLs" option; otherwise, there's no URL in the data being imported, rendering the imported Login items useless.

I assume the SafeNote –> Secure Note problem is unrelated, and I wonder whether the imported data might include a control character that is causing the problem.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Does anyone have some sample Roboform exported data (from the 6.9.99 version)? I can't get SafeNotes exported in IE in Win 7 (the Print List feature just spins and spins preparing the list), and the Firefox extension does not run in my version of FF. (what a completely bonkers program.)

This discussion has been closed.