Beginner and pre-purchase question

I am lost at the manual / support docs. The question is, do I need to install 1password app ( the vault ) on every PC I want to magically fill logins?

I am a LastPass user and it does not need any app installation, just the browser extension, so it would be perfect if 1Password behave like that. ( I work on many PC(s) using portable hardisk

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Yes, you do need to install 1Password on each device on which you want to use it. It's not a cloud-based service.

You can put your 1Password data on a portable disk, but (as far as I know) you cannot install 1Password itself on a removable drive.

• fcl
    fcl
    Community Member

Sorry for late reply,

Could you point me to the article about storing 1Password data on portable disk?
    if 1Password could not be installed into a removable drive, could a 1Password installation forced to use external data (the data on portable disk)?

I work on several workstation, I do have a nice memory of many account details but sometimes my brain cannot function normally so I rely on Lastpass

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

You're much better off using Dropbox to share and sync your 1Password data among all the PCs (and other devices) on which you want to use 1Password. It's simple, dependable, and automatic.

Your 1Password for Windows license entitles you to install and use 1Password for Windows on as many machines as you like (and even extends that to as many as five members of your family, living in the same household).

• fcl
    fcl
    Community Member

The problem is, one or more workstation on which I work on are office workstation. I don't want to automatically sync those pc.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

You'll still be better off if you can sync to the work computer, and your data will still be inaccessible to anyone who doesn't know your master password.

Syncing is automatic, so you always have access to your secure data. If you forget to bring the removable drive, though, you're out of luck.

Worse, if you lose the removable drive, your data is gone. :/

This discussion has been closed.