password won't autofill on site (www.national-lottery.co.uk)

Options
tdavey
tdavey
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

Hi, I have found an issue with the website https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/ on my macbook air. The user name populates as normal but the password will not. I have tried loading from both the main 1password program (open and fill) and visiting the website independently and using the safari browser extension. Im guessing its the site or browser since it won't even let me copy and paste the password manually. Any thoughts? I have tried re-installing the browser extension and rebooting, clearing cache, switching off keychain...also tried Firefox and the same happens. It does however, work on my iPhone...

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @tdavey‌ Can I ask, have you got a nice, strong and quite long password there? the kind we keep promoting you to use at every site :wink: I've seen reported a few times that sites with limits on their password length can react in different ways depending on if you try typing a password in compared to if you try pasting it in.

So there are a couple of things worth trying.

1. Does the problem persist if you change your password to something shorter in length? If it doesn't there may very well be an undocumented maximum length to the password for their site. I should point out this is for troubleshooting only, change the password to something of an acceptable length afterwards.
    2. Does 1Password behave any differently if you follow the guide for Saving a Login Manually?
  • tdavey
    tdavey
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thanks for your reply, I will try your suggestions but this password, and yes it is long at 20 characters, has been working fine since September and continues to work on my iPhone. I will let you know what happens...

• tdavey
    tdavey
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again, just an update, the password length is not the problem. What might help is that the login screen does not allow me to paste any details into the password field. So I can enter any password manually but the problem here lies with anything that is imported or pasted into that field(not possible).

• Ben
    Options

Unfortunately I'm unable to test this site at all as I get this message:

It looks like you're outside the UK and Isle of Man
    So unfortunately you will not be able to access your account at the moment.

I'll ask one of our folks from the UK to follow up.

• tdavey
    tdavey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from someone.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tdavey‌

Can I just clarify, when you say it won't fill in the password does it look like it does but when you click on the Sign in button you aren't successfully logged in or it just doesn't look like it never fills in the password field and it always remains blank?

I don't have an account with them, which will be the best step to try, but at the moment I can create a Logins item that seems to work.

Now your observations are correct, the site itself is disabling pasting in the belief that doing this makes you more secure. We'll skip by that design decision because 1Password doesn't paste into the field so it shouldn't be affected.

I tried two ways of creating a new Logins item.

1. Creating a new item from within 1Password and setting the URL to https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/sign-in I found a generic item with no details regarding the actual page worked.
    2. I followed the steps in Saving a Login Manually. Why this sometimes works is if a web page has lots of fields 1Password can guess incorrectly where to put them whereas when you follow that it knows exactly what fields should be populated.

Normally 2. helps where 1. doesn't but with the National Lottery URL I could get my copy of 1Password to fill in both the username and password for entries created either way.

It might be worth stating what versions of OS X, 1Password, 1Password mini (it has it's own version as it runs on its own development cycle) and browser versions you're having difficulties with. Meanwhile I'm going to go create a proper account and see if I can replicate your findings at all.

This discussion has been closed.