Missing credit card

I have 1Password on OS X, iOS and Windows, all of which are synced via Dropbox. I have entered three credit cards (many months ago) in 1Password, and I can see all three credit cards in iOS and OS X, but 1Password for Windows only shows 2 credit cards --- the third one is missing for some reason. When I try to "repair 1Password vault" in Windows, I get a message saying "Your 1Password Vault is healthy. No errors or problems have been found."

I would really appreciate any advice on how to fix this problem. Thanks very much in advance!

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

If you add a new Credit Card item in 1Password for Mac today, does it appear in 1Password for Windows?

If you add a new Credit Card item in 1Password for iOS today, does it appear in 1Password for Windows?

If you add a new Credit Card item in 1Password for Windows today, does it appear in 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS?

Do you have the same problem with any other item types, or is it just Credit Card items (or just that one Credit Card item)?

• parekh
    parekh
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

Thank you for your response. I currently don't have access to my OS X machine, but I will perform these tests with iOS and Windows and post the results shortly.

• parekh
    parekh
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

I added (1) iOS test credit card and (2) iOS test login from 1Password for iOS. Immediately my Windows machine showed a Dropbox notification that some files have been edited. I can see both (1) and (2) in 1Password for Windows.

Then I added (3) Windows test credit card and (4) Windows test login from 1Password for Windows. After a minute, I was able to see both (3) and (4) in 1Password for iOS.

Then I deleted (1) and (2) using Windows and I deleted (3) and (4) using iOS. The result (as expected) is that (1), (2), (3) and (4) are now deleted from both iOS and Windows.

This makes the puzzle of the missing credit card even more mysterious to me.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

Yes, because it shows that syncing is working as expected.

I can only suggest replacing the one that doesn't appear in 1Password for Windows:

1. In 1Password for Mac, select that Credit Card item, and export it to 1PIF, just for safekeeping.

(Caution: 1PIF is a plain-text format—the data is not encrypted—so you'll want to securely delete the .1pif folder when you've completed these steps.)

2. On any of the devices, create a new Credit Card item (with a distinct name), using the same credentials as the one that you just exported.

3. Make sure it syncs to the other devices.

4. When you've confirmed that the new Credit Card item is present on all three devices, delete the one that appears only on the Mac and iOS devices.

5. Let that deletion sync to the other device on which the deleted item had appeared.

That won't solve the mystery, but it'll get you where you need to be: the Credit Card item present on all three devices.

Please let us know how it goes, and be sure to follow up here, if you see a similar problem again!

• parekh
    parekh
    Community Member

Thanks for the suggestion. That has certainly solved the problem of this particular credit card, but I am also interested in diagnosing and solving the larger problem of sync errors, since it is really difficult to trust a system that periodically errs. Can you please help me with that? Just today I noticed that one of my logins is facing another sync error. I updated the login on Windows a few weeks ago, and 1Password for Windows shows the updated login, but 1Password for iOS shows two logins - one is the old version and one is the updated version.

I guess I have two questions in general:

(1) How do I permanently solve the problem of sync errors? Perhaps I can uninstall and reinstall the application on all my devices and restore from some backup?

(2) Is there a "master" backup of my 1Password data that I can revert to in case of errors?

Thanks very much for working with me on this.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I understand the desire to understand, @parekh‌, and I wish I knew the single, solid answer to how the Credit Card item got "out of sync"; but there have been issues reported (and since resolved, as I understand it) in recent versions of the iOS app.

(1)

Because it has an internal database, I'd use 1Password for Mac:

1. Quit 1Password for Windows, and close any browsers on your PC.

2. In 1Password for Mac, make sure your 1Password vault on your Mac contains all of your Logins, Credit Cards, and other items exactly as you want them!

3. Still in 1Password for Mac, create a backup of your 1Password data.

4. Disable syncing in 1Password for Mac.

5. If you get an option to remove the Dropbox copy from your Mac, accept it; otherwise, go to the Finder, and delete the .agilekeychain "package" from your Mac.

That deletion will sync up to your private dropbox.com web site and down to your PC.

6. Uninstall 1Password for iOS from your iOS devices, so that it removes your 1Password data, as well.

Important: 1Password for Mac now holds the only copy of your 1Password data.

7. In 1Password for Mac, re-enable Dropbox syncing.

8. Let your 1Password data sync up to your private dropbox.com web site and down to your PC.

9. On each iOS device, reinstall 1Password for iOS, select Dropbox syncing, and choose the newly created vault.

10. On your PC, launch 1Password for Windows, and either accept its offer to use the newly synced vault or direct it to the vault's location in your local Dropbox folder hierarchy.

(2)

1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS have internal databases. If you enable Dropbox syncing, they also create a copy of that data in the local Dropbox folder hierarchy, which Dropbox copies up to your private dropbox.com web site and down to any other devices associated with the same Dropbox account.

1Password for Windows has no internal database; it uses the .agilekeychain folder directly, whether it's stored in your local Dropbox folder hierarchy or elsewhere on your computer.

Those are the only locations for the actual data.

In 1Password on any of these platforms, though, you can create backups. On the Mac and PC, at least (I'm not sure about iOS), 1Password is set up by default to create backups automatically. You can restore your data (to 1Password on the same platform) from those backups. That's why I asked you to create a backup early on, in the steps above.

This discussion has been closed.