1Password 4 for Windows -- Big step backwards

I've been using 1Password for years and recently upgraded to 1Password 4 that covers iOS and Windows. I am very disappointed. The 1Password 3 interface in Chrome was much better. I hate the 1Password4. The stupid Logins > Unassigned that results in a scroll list that is stupidly long is useless. I now have to search, but that brings up a dialog box. I have my windows configured like Xterm, so unless I move my cursor quickly to the new pop-up dialog box, the search box disappears. I hate it.

Also, 1Password 4 for Windows just doesn't work on my system. I didn't change anything, but accounts that I used to be able to log into, no long work. 1Password 4 has forgotten how to enter the data into the correct fiedls, I guess. 1Password 3 knew how to do this.

1Password 4 has also doesn't ask to save new logins, even though I have Settings > Auto-Save Logins checked.

I started to go through some debug procedures, but I don't have the time right now. Maybe over Thanksgiving. It's terrible that I have to do this.

But I do have time to let you know that, for me, 1Password 4 is a step backwards, for many reasons.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with 1Password 4 for Windows, @SoKal. As you can imagine, most people are very happy with the upgrade, though you're hardly alone in your preference for some aspects of the older 3.x extensions that worked with 1Password 1 for Windows.

Possible good news is that you can still use the 3.x extensions with 1Password 4 for Windows, if you prefer them. Just remove the 4.x extensions, and install the 3.x extensions. (Be aware, though, that they're no longer being enhanced or maintained, as we're focused on the 4.x versions.)

As for 1Password 4 not being able to use Login items saved in 1Password 1, can you try saving a new Login item at an example site or two, and let us know whether the newly saved Login items work as expected?

We'd appreciate hearing from you, and we apologize for the inconvenience!

• RustyD
    RustyD
    Community Member

I've just created a new account, specifically to respond to this post.

I'm sorry, but your statement 'As you can imagine, most people are very happy ...' is at best disingenuous. That is something that I can categorically NOT imagine (users being happy with the upgrade).

The usabilty of the new browser plugin is a big step backward for everyday usage. With the old version, I was easily able to edit my password and other details for a web site from within the plugin. I could also easily lookup additional notes/challenge/response questions that some web sites ask - from within the plugin. I cannot do this with the new plugin - and this is a pain because 1Password doesn't always work well 'out of the box' with a lot of banking and financial web sites.

This may have been offset by the 'Open 1Password' menu item (in the plugin) auto logging in to the main app (when you've already logged into the browser plugin) and taking me to the relevant password profile - but it doesn't. So you have to log in once to the plugin and then a second time to the main app. This is both annoying, but also a disincentive to using a long and secure password for 1Password itself. In addition to this, when you now close/log out of the main 1Pasword app, it now also auto-logs you out of the browser plugin. Aaarrrrggghhhhhhhhh! ....

As far as I am concerned, this all adds up to a MASSIVE ux and usability issue for the new 1Password, and an issue that the agilebits project team don't appear (from your response) to be that concerned about.

Regards,

Rus

• RustyD
    RustyD
    Community Member

Also, can you provide a link to the 3.x extension plugin please? I'm not that it's easily discoverable from your main site.

Thanks.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

In addition to this, when you now close/log out of the main 1Pasword app, it now also auto-logs you out of the browser plugin.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

your statement 'As you can imagine, most people are very happy ...' is at best disingenuous. That is something that I can categorically NOT imagine (users being happy with the upgrade).

It is not disingenuous: Most people are happy with the upgrade, even if it's not easy for you to imagine.

As far as I am concerned, this all adds up to a MASSIVE ux and usability issue...

I think that's the point: The UI and UX are different, to be sure, and change is either good or bad, depending on your level of satisfaction with the older UI.

I don't have the in-depth knowledge to explain or even enumerate all the changes to the extensions or the reasons behind them. (I can ask someone more familiar with them to drop by, if that'd help.)

That doesn't mean we won't continue to improve the extensions and the main program as resources allow, and feedback from users is an important source of information about where to focus, so we thank you for letting us know your opinion, @RustyD‌.

In addition to the Universal Unlock option, there are other options on the Security and General tabs of 1Password preferences that affect how and in what circumstances the main program, the helper, and the extensions lock each other. Please see the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide for details.

• RustyD
    RustyD
    Community Member

So I think I'll continue to use the 3.x browser plugin for now. The 'universal locking/unlocking' wouldn't have been such a great annoyance if I still had access to my notes/supplementary login credentials from within the browser plugin. This is really my biggest problem I guess.

I hope you can restore that functionality in the near future. From my own dev experience, you usually need to have a really good reason or a better replacement when you remove functionality that users have gotten used to or depend upon.

Thank you,

Rus

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Again, I'm not qualified to explain all the reasons for changing the extension technology. I'll see if I can get someone to contribute here.

This discussion has been closed.