Dropbox Sync Questions

Jables
Jables
Community Member
edited November 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi, first, I'm sorry about this post, I just don't have time to read through all of the forum threads right now. (I wish AgileBits offered support tickets for paying customers).

I'm running the following instances of 1Password:

• 1Password 4 - Windows 8.1

• 1Password 4 - Windows 8.1

• 1Password 4 - Windows 10

• 1Password 5 - OS X Yosemite

• 1Password 5.1.2 - iOS 8.1

[Edit: ul's don't seem to be working]

I have Dropbox and Dropbox Sync setup on all clients.

I'm having issues keeping items synced between all devices. I use them at the same time through remote desktop, so I have some questions about how syncing works.

1. How often does a client sync with Dropbox?
  2. Does it actually "synchronize" or does it just overwrite? If I make an update to one item on my Mac, and then make an update to a different item on a Windows 8.1 machine moments later, and then they sync with Dropbox, does only the later sync operation stick?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Jables
    Jables
    Community Member

So, I've dug a little deeper and see now that each individual password item is stored individually. So, my question about overwriting isn't applicable.

But, I am definitely having some issues (or maybe it's just an issue for me and this is how 1Password is designed). I've created a test entry in 1Password 5 for OS X, and saved it. Then, opened the preferences > Sync > "Last Synced 15 seconds ago"

Now, I go onto my Windows computer. There are no such sync notices available in Windows (-_-). And no way to manually trigger a sync. So I wait, and 15 minutes later, still no test entry from the Mac. Dropbox on both machines says it is up to date.

I checked my facebook entry that I changed the password for yesterday, but this isn't synced either.

Not sure what's going on. I have only one dropbox account, and there is only one 1Password folder in it, yet both machines and both applications say they are syncing.

Just checked my iPhone too. Triggered sync. No test entry.

Suggestions?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

We do offer e-mail support at support@agilebits.com. Normally we reply quickly, but we're currently still pretty backed up, there, because of recent releases on Mac and iOS, which is why the forums might be your best bet for a rapid response, for the time being.

There's no "trigger sync" command in 1Password for Windows because it relies on Dropbox to sync your data, and it works great, as long as Dropbox is syncing to and from your PC.

The fact that an item created on your Mac isn't showing up on either your PC or your iOS device suggests Dropbox isn't syncing from your Mac, though.

The way to check that is to add a small text file in your Dropbox folder on your Mac, and then check to see whether it shows up on your private dropbox.com web site, and then to see whether it shows up on other computers and devices associated with the same Dropbox account. That tells you whether the "outgoing sync" is working from your Mac and, if not, where it's breaking down.

If that all works as expected, you'd try the same thing on your PC, checking to confirm that the small test file makes it "up and over" to the other associated computers and devices.

If all of that is working as expected, then Dropbox would appear not to be the problem, and we can pursue it from there.

Thanks for your patience, @Jables!

• Jables
    Jables
    Community Member

Thanks, @DBrown, it was indeed a Dropbox issue. I did the test you suggested and found that the Mac wasn't syncing to Dropbox.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

...and I'm hoping that, once that was solved, everything started syncing as expected in 1Password, as well.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help!

This discussion has been closed.