License confusion

Hi. I bought 1Password for IOS and just downloaded the Windows version. Am I supposed to buy a separate license for this? On the Agilebits site it says I don't need to and should use my ID for previous purchase. But where to input this? Also, Windows version says it is a trial version, yet my existing passwords have magically appeared. Not sure what is going on,

Nic

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

Hi NicholasKersov,

1Password is licensed per platform in fact.

The iOS version is linked to your Apple account so you don't have any license key to enter anywhere and can the license can be shared with up to 6 members of your family since the introduction of Apple "Family Sharing".

The Windows license is a separate purchase that can be done via the Agile Bits store. However, it's licensed per user and you can use it on any of your Windows computers. In order to be fair, Agile Bits team also apply the same family sharing to the Windows version.

The price is steep when you first purchase it but if you have multiple computers, it's actually less than many other apps that are licensed per computer.

• NicholasKersov
    NicholasKersov
    Community Member

Hi. Okay, thanks for the clarification. What is confusing the hell out of me now is how the trial version for Windows that I just installed has magically found most of my logins. Where did it get them from?

Nic

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

DropBox Sync? Wi-Fi sync? Did you do any of these ?

I also forgot : the Windows version is a 30 day trial. After the 30 days, the app will not lock or anything but you'll be restricted to 20 items in the database if i recall correctly.

• NicholasKersov
    NicholasKersov
    Community Member

Ah, yes, Dropbox. That is quite sneaky, grabbing the content then reducing it down to 20 unless further payment is forthcoming. Looking at the price - and no discount for owners of other platform versions - I think I'll be looking elsewhere. But thanks a lot for putting my mind at rest.

Nic

• hawkstr
    hawkstr
    Community Member

That's one way a person could view things I guess. Although calling it "sneaky" is a bit skewed. For me it was a way to see if the product worked for me and how well it performed. They didn't need to provide more than 20 items to prove this out. When I found it to be what they said it was, I had NO issues paying for a product that met my needs. I appreciated the opportunity to try before I purchased. Many companies out there do not give you that opportunity.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I think i didn't explain it correctly :

I doesn't reduce your items to 20, you will be able to see 4000 logins if you had that much before, what you won't be able to do is to add new ones from the Windows app (because of the 20 limitation). The ones you create in iOS should be viewable without problems. Am i right @DBrown‌ ?

What @hawkstr said is true (in my experience), many apps generally lock after after trial expiration, and licenses are generally more restrictive : no family sharing, licensed per computer.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

I believe that is accurate, @J.M—thanks for so generously taking time to help your fellow 1Password users!

• pcarpinona
    pcarpinona
    Community Member

I am not too happy with this licensing news AFTER THE FACT that I purchased the "Pro" version on my iOS device. The advertising did not warn about having to purchase ADDITIONAL licenses for each platform. (In my case for Windows 7). I purchased this software because I saw this as the main advantage over "mSecure". I would appreciate it if someone from agilebits could get back to me on this...

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

They do have an extensive FAQ though. The license policy is explained in it. Maybe they could charge for an all platforms but the price would be quite high, plus not everyone needs a license for all platforms. Let the user choose is a better approach i think.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

The problem is that you can't offer an "all-in" license. Both Apple and Google take payment through their respective stores and there is no way to confirm the identity of a purchaser. You'll notice that they offer a bundle deal for Windows and OSX, but even that's looking ropey now that Apple require an app store purchase to use CloudKit.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Here's how the iTunes App Store describes the benefits of upgrading to 1Password Pro:

1Password for iOS "pro" features"

Here's how the Google Play store describes syncing and the "pro" features:

1Password for Android syncing and "pro" features

I'll admit that the Mac App Store could be a little more clear:

...but our web site spells it out:

So, along with the free 30-day trials, we're trying very hard to make sure you know what you're getting and that it's the right tool for you.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@RichardPayne‌ Yep i just wrote about an hypothetical scenario, in reality i know it's impossible ;).

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

... in reality i know it's impossible

Ah, the joys of multiple-platform software. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Ah, the joys of multiple-platform software.

More like the joys of overly restrictive platform providers. :disappointed:

This discussion has been closed.