Firefox extension with strange behavior

Hey there, I'm using the latest version of 1Password and its Firefox extension. Most of the things work fine but when I use the shortcut to provide my userdata to any website it seems like the control-key "stucks". Everything I do from now on seems to notice the control key as activated. For example: scrolling results in zooming, pressing letters results in other shortcut actions and so on.... To solve this I have to restart Firefox. I do have the exact same behavior on 3 different PCs and I can reproduce it. I also tried to make a clean install of 1PW and the browser extension but without success... :-(

Any help out there?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Could you try temporarily disabling the 1Password extension in Firefox, and then trying Ctrl+\ again to see whether the Ctrl key still "sticks" in the same way?

That might help us figure out 1Password's role in the thing.

Thanks!

• Hey, I tried this and Firefox behaves as intended, the control key shows no kind of sticking. Turning on the 1PW extension results in the behavior as described. For your information: I set the shortcut to CTRL+S but I don't think that this causes the issue.

Best regards!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

To make sure I understand what you discovered:

• You disabled the 1Password extension in Firefox, and pressing Ctrl+\ in Firefox did not cause the Ctrl key to "stick."

Is that correct?

• You re-enabled the 1Password extension, and pressing Ctrl+\ in Firefox did cause the Ctrl key to "stick."

Is that correct?

• You changed the keyboard shortcut to Ctrl+S, and pressing Crtl+S in Firefox ______ cause the Ctrl key to "stick."

did or did not?

• Christian Böcklein
    Christian Böcklein
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    • Yes, disabling the extension did not cause the Ctrl key to stick

• Yes, re-enabling the extension causes the Ctrl key to stick

• Ctrl+S is my default setting, the german keyboard layout is not really made for Ctrl+/ :-) So the Ctrl key sticks when the shortcut is Ctrl+S. I tried a few other letters instead of "s" but all with the same result, the Ctrl key sticks...

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

So, when the 1Password extension is enabled in Firefox, pressing the Ctrl key with any other key leaves _______ thinking the Ctrl key is still being pressed.

just Firefox or all of Windows?

• Just Firefox, I didn't notice this behavior outside the browser.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, Christian. What are the full version numbers of Firefox that you're running and the 1Password extension you have installed?

• Hey, I'm running Firefox 33.1.1 and the extension version is 4.2.5

Thank you!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I've made sure I have the same FF and extension versions, and I'm not able to reproduce the problem, Christian. :/

I'm asking one of my co-workers with a German keyboard to join us here.

Thanks for your patience!

• Hi @Christian Böcklein‌,

On David's request, I gave this a try and I couldn't find anything wrong on my machine.
    Setting OPW4 to use the uncommon shortcut of CTRL+S didn't make the CTRL key "stick". It worked as expected.

This doesn't necessarily have to mean anything since I was using my virtual machine at the time.
    VMware always controls keyboard and mouse input in the VMs, so a native Windows system might react differently.
    I'm going to test this on my PC today.

However, could you check if you might be using some kind of assistive technology active like this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/de-DE/windows-xp/help/using-stickykeys
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-xp/help/using-stickykeys

This, of course, still wouldn't explain why it only happened in Firefox but it's worth checking.

Cheers

• Christian Böcklein
    Christian Böcklein
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

Hi Alex,

I'm not using any of this assistive technologies. However, it looks like I've got an individual case and no other users are affected so I will deal with it.
    If I got some more information concerning this issue in the near future I will let you know!

Thanks for all your provided help!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Please do let us know if there's anything more specific that we need to try, in order to see the problem, Christian.

Thank you!

• Hi there, now I will come up with some more information :-)
    I changed to the latest version of Chrome and I got the exact same behavior as in Firefox. Now, I can reproduce it:

The described behavior always comes up in the following case:

1. The vault is still locked
    2. I open my internet banking website
    3. I unlock the vault via CTRL+S
    4. => The CTRL-Key is now "sticky" but only in Chrome (the exact same behavior as in Firefox)

I can not reproduce this issue when I unlock the vault for a different website, so it seems there is something wrong with the login page of my bank...

Best regards!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the information, Christian.

• Hi there, today I come up with a little bit more information: The behavior always comes up if, for some reason, auto-submit does not work.
    Usually I press Ctrl+S, username and password got filled and auto-submit logs me in without the need to press the login button. Sometimes I press Ctrl+S, username and password got filled and auto-submit does not work so I have to press the login button manually => Ctrl-Key got stuck

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update!

• Interesting.
    Christian, could you please set the keyboard shortcut to something like 'Alt GR + #', this shortcut works fine on my German keyboard and is easy to type.

I've tried reproducing the problem on my regular Windows 7 PC but wasn't able to. The only thing that really comes to mind is the fact that Firefox has this keyboard shortcut is mapped to the 'Seite speichern' ('Save this page') command in Firefox.

• Hi, thx for your reply.
    @AlexHoffmann‌ I will change my shortcut and come back with some feedback in a few days. (don't know if you have read it, but I got this issue in Firefox and Chrome, so I think it does not depend on the browser).

• Both browsers use STRG+S for saving a site, though.
    I'm really unsure how strict these browsers are when trying to preserve predefined keyboard shortcuts.

This discussion has been closed.