1Password Fails to Enter Username/Password On Some Login Sites

1Password has some sites where the login has been saved, but the browser extension fails to enter the username and/or password. In some sites it fails entirely, in others it will give one but not the other. I can use the app to copy/paste the username and password (less ideal, but functional).

Where 1Password does not enter the login access credentials, LastPass is able.

What might cause 1Password to fail to enter the username/password that it does have saved? Is there a known solution? This seems to happen for both Windows and Mac; but I'm on a Windows machine [at work] at the moment, so I'm posting under the Windows topic.

Comments

• Theateroom
    Theateroom
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

I gave one answer to your last two questions in my post today: "Ally Bank: Multipage login how-to / Copy & paste into the Change PW fields is disabled"

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

There are many things that can prevent 1Password from filling a form, including how it's initially coded and changes to the form since you saved the Login, to name a couple.

The first thing to try is saving a new Login manually to see whether the new one works; if it does, you can delete the old one.

Please let us know how it goes, @chazzunokuthunuchtec‌.

• I didn't go to read that post. But my login concerns are not multi-page logins. The prompt for login access credentials, where this fails, has both the username and the password on the same page.
    In some cases, I can eventually get 1Password to fill both by re-loading the page, or by clearing cache and refreshing the page. In other cases, it will consistently give one but not the other, and I have to open the app and copy/paste. At least there is a workaround, but I was confused why it happens if LastPass is able to fill both. Not sure if the page coding matters or not.
    In most all cases the fields are "username" and "password", but in one case the username is called "student ID", and in one other case it is called "email address".

• Thank you @DBrown‌. I will try that.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Great! Let us know how it goes.

• Deleting the login from 1Password and then re-adding has helped, allowing them to fill-in better. I copied the password to the clipboard, deleted it from 1Password, and then logged in on the site and allowed the browser extension to save a new site when prompted. Thus far it is responding better.

One site (https://uvlink.uvu.edu/) did not prompt me to add/save a new site. I confirmed it was deleted, but still no prompt. Instead, I had to add this one manually. But now it enters the login details better.

This may be fixed, but I will post again if I find an issue.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know, @chazzunokuthunuchtec‌!

• Oddly, the same sites are now having issues more than 50% of the time, where 1Password browser extension will not fill in the username or password. I then have to go back to the base app, and manually copy/paste. Sometimes I can get around this by refreshing the page a few times, and then the [Firefox] extension will fill in the login access credentials; but too often now it will not work.

The previously prescribed solution was to delete the login from 1Password and then re-add it. How often will this be required? I can do it again, but it's only been about a month. Could it be a problem of syncing with Dropbox and allowing 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows to both have access? I should hope not, but if the two versions read/write information differently then I wonder. Else could this be weirdness with the browser extension, tested on Windows in Firefox and Chrome?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

In an ideal world, re-creating a Login item shouldn't be required, but site developers occasionally "improve" their login pages in ways that can cause your existing Login item no longer to work.

As well, we frequently improve the extensions in many ways, and it's always possible that some change might affect one of your existing Login items adversely. If that's the case, please let us know a few URLs, so we can try to determine whether the problem is on our end.

I can't imagine how the problem could be related to Dropbox syncing in any way.

• Thank you @DBrown. The ones I noticed today are at work, and are not accessible from the outside, but I will keep an eye on this. Your response makes sense and brings some comfort.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

We're always glad to help, @chazzunokuthunuchtec‌.

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Community Member

To my view this is still an issue. Oddly enough, one day it will not fill in anything. I have to manually copy/paste the password. The next day on the same site(s) it will enter the username/password easily. On some days, it won't fill it in, but I can refresh and it will fill it in. Other days I can refresh all I want and it doesn't appear to work until randomly on another day.
    However, LastPass is able to fill in the sites that I test between 1Password and LastPass. I don't know how the "fill" functions are different between the two, but it is still a noticeable problem.
    One site is a company wiki, only accessible internally. Another site is the Utah Valley University student login portal called UV Link.

• Hi @chazzunokuthunuchtec,

Oddly enough, one day it will not fill in anything. I have to manually copy/paste the password. The next day on the same site(s) it will enter the username/password easily. On some days, it won't fill it in, but I can refresh and it will fill it in. Other days I can refresh all I want and it doesn't appear to work until randomly on another day.

There are a few reasons this happens and one reason depends on which browser you're using:

1. If you're using Chrome, it is likely because of the silent updates. When Chrome silently updates itself in the background, it changes some code in a way that our code signature verification will consider the browser to be broken, thus it prevents our extension to fill until you restart the browser completely (to apply the silent update). We added a feature to alert users when this happen a few versions ago but I have seen it not doing this even in the latest version. Usually, just restarting the browser will fix this. This is our security check to make sure the extension isn't suddenly working in an unauthorized version of the web browser.
    2. An anti-malware or security software got in the way and started filtering the communication between the browser extension and the main 1Password Helper. The problem is that we don't know when this happens because once it starts filtering, it looks as if the browser has closed. However, we can figure it out based on a diagnostic report you can send us.

When you see this issue again, please spend a few minutes reproducing the problem to build up the logs and then use this guide to generate a diagnostic report to email to us. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it, and confirm we got the email.

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Community Member

Thank you. I sent a diagnostics report via email. Some logins work, but I reproduced one where 1Password in Mozilla Firefox 37.0.2 where a "HelpSpot" login would not fill when using 1Password (but did fill using LastPass). For what it's worth, I like 1Password way better, and just use the comparison for troubleshooting.

• Hi @chazzunokuthunuchtec

Thanks, we'll follow up with the email soon. As for Helpspot:

I reproduced one where 1Password in Mozilla Firefox 37.0.2 where a "HelpSpot" login would not fill when using 1Password

Does it happen in Chrome or IE as well? We've tracking down a bug in Firefox where it gives us a malformed URL and we can't fill because we don't know what site it is for.

For what it's worth, I like 1Password way better, and just use the comparison for troubleshooting.

We're glad to hear that. It's okay, we appreciate the information. Just to clarify, each password manager have their own algorithm(s) for filling, 1Password and LastPass wouldn't have the same behavior on all sites, just like every other password managers including ones in the browsers.

1Password has several algorithms to figure out how to fill in properly and we're constantly working on them to work on more sites. In fact, it should be much better in the recent 1Password 4.5 update as we've switched over to our next-generation system for filling data. It would enable more advanced filling over time.

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Community Member

I am at home now (on 1Password for iMac) but I will try Chrome or IE on Monday when I get back in to work (they tend to have Firefox add-ons, and the site designed to "work" best in FF that make using FF their work-environment preference, not that I don't like Chrome - I do).

• Great, we'll wait to hear back from you on Monday.

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Community Member

When using Windows, my issues do seem to be more with Firefox than with IE or Chrome (of which I prefer Chrome, as I don't see much integration with IE, and haven't been hearing much about Microsoft being as up to date with developer preferences for security or usability). With Firefox I do see the logins featured at the top of the 1Password browser extension, but they too often don't fill in.
    Today the 1Password did fill in for HelpSpot, but not for the company wiki or bug tracker sites. These three seem to vary, some days filling in and other days not. But the problem does appear to be mostly in Firefox.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

haven't been hearing much about Microsoft being as up to date with developer preferences for security

Contrary to aged conventional wisdom, recent versions of Internet Explorer are very secure, perhaps the most secure browser available.

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Community Member

It does help to see that IE is getting more secure, so that it should now be an equal option for available browsers. I don't [yet] see them allowing a browser add-on as convenient as Chrome or Firefox (or Safari on iMac) so when/if I use IE I will copy/paste the info from the 1Password base app. The passwords did fill in Firefox well today. Not sure if this is fixed. I'll continue watching.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chazzunokuthunuchtec: That's great to hear! Be sure to let us know the URLs if you have issues with specific sites in the future, as there is always room for improvement.

It sounds like Internet Explorer may go away over time (though on a Microsoft timescale), and I'm excited to see how the new Edge browser and Windows 10 turn out. Cheers! :)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I don't [yet] see them allowing a browser add-on as convenient as Chrome or Firefox

@chazzunokuthunuchtec Correct. But we have high hopes for Microsoft Edge, the successor to Internet Explorer in Windows 10.

This discussion has been closed.