Open / Export attachments feature (introduced in beta 529)

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited November 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi,

So, with the release of 1Password 4.1.0 Beta 529, Agile Bits introduced new items in the attachments contextual menu.

Open -> directly opens selected attachment in the default program associated with the filetype
Export -> well this is one is obvious (same as the old double clicking)

From what i understand, when you open an attachment, an encrypted copy of the file is stored in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp (i say encrypted because the filename is green but i'm not sure).

It will stay in the temp folder until the vault is closed then it will be deleted.

My question is : how is the file processed? Is it a simple deletion or a secure one ? Even though it seems to be encrypted i'd like to know how secure it is (i generally export and secure delete attachments) :).

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I just opened a text file attachment, and a copy of it was created in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp, as you say.

Then I opened a bitmap image attachment, and a copy of it was created in the same directory, along with two temp files (~XXXXXX.tmp).

When I closed the copy of the bitmap attachment, the two temp files disappeared instantly; the .txt and .bmp files were still there.

Then I exited 1Password, and the .txt and .bmp files disappeared instantly; they did not appear in the Recycle Bin.

I'll leave it to @svondutch to provide the definitive answer about delete / secure-delete.

Note that you can still, as you observe, "export" and secure delete attachments or just double-click. Both open the Save As dialog box.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Is it a simple deletion or a secure one?

We encrypt and then delete the temporary file when your vault is locked, but it is a simple deletion. I guess we should wipe/shred it.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I guess we should wipe/shred it.

I agree.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Thanks for the answers @DBrown‌ & @svondutch‌

I already shred files but yes, for all the users who aren't tech savvy, shredding files by default would be nice.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I agree.

@RichardPayne I have added this to build #531

This discussion has been closed.