Windows Subscription...might have to get a new computer

BandGuy
BandGuy
Community Member
edited November 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

So, my computer which I paid for a 1Password subscription for Windows has been sent to the shop and I have been told by Best Buy that they cannot find the hard drive and that if HP cannot fix it, it might be junked out and I would get a new computer under the warranty. Will my 1Password subscription then be transfered to my new computer or am I going to have to purchase another subscription? Also, while I am waiting to find out about what's going to happen on my computer, can I use the subscription on my son's computer which is what I am having to use right now? Bad day today, and hoping it doesn't get worse...

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Windows licensing is per person, so yes, you can transfer the software to a new PC. However, it's better than that, you can use it simultaneously on multiple Windows PCs. So you can install on your son's computer and keep it there. Of course, if your son wants to use it too then you'd need a second license for him.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

if your son wants to use it too then you'd need a second license for him

If you're living in the same household, then a single license is valid for up to 4 family members.

https://agilebits.com/home/licenses

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

a single license is valid for up to 4 family members.

Is it 4 or 6 ? it's written 6 in the linked article :) .

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

@J.M You're right - a family license covers 6 family members.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

For the record, @BandGuy, it's not a subscription. The purchase of a 1Password for Windows license allows you (and up to five more members of your family in the same household) to install 1Password for Windows on as many machines as you need to use it on and entitles you to free updates (within the same major revision) and a discount on future major upgrades.

Also, we no longer offer anything called a family license, to more closely match Apple's licensing policy in their App Store (one of the places you can get 1Password for Mac).

• BandGuy
    BandGuy
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

@DBrown‌ ,

Very cool. Thanks. I am working on installing the vault on my son's computer right now. Should I click "I have used 1Password before"?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

That prompt should really be something like "I already have 1Password data on my computer", because it gives you the opportunity to tell it where to find your existing 1Password vault or to restore your vault from a 1Password backup.

Here are the installation instructions, part of the important "quick start" section of the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide:

You may also find this article on syncing your 1Password data among multiple computers to be of interest:

• BandGuy
    BandGuy
    Community Member

I can't seem to complete the installation on my son's computer. Can somebody please help me?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Sure, if you tell us what the problem is.

• BandGuy
    BandGuy
    Community Member

"Log into Windows using an account that has administrator privileges.
    1Password needs “admin rights” so it can create the necessary Registry entries."

How do I log into Windows using an account that has administrator privileges? I'm just not that advanced to even know what that means.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

Does your Windows computer have more than one account?

If not, the only account will probably have admin privileges.

Do you get an error message during the installation that mentions being unable to accomplish some task?

• BandGuy
    BandGuy
    Community Member

I am not getting the message which DBrown says I should be getting in the previous message.

• BandGuy
    BandGuy
    Community Member

No

• BandGuy
    BandGuy
    Community Member

When I install 1Password, then open the icon, I get the following choices:

1. I am new to 1Password
    2. I have used 1Password before
    3. Restore 1Password Vault from Backup...
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

As noted in the article I linked, above, that means 1Password found no vaults in your local Dropbox folder hierarchy, or if you don’t have Dropbox installed.

Is there any 1Password on this computer yet?

If not, do you have 1Password data on some other computer that you want to sync with this computer?

I am not getting the message which DBrown says I should be getting in the previous message.

I don't know which message that refers to.

• BandGuy
    BandGuy
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

If I choose choice number 2, I get a box which tells me to open existing 1Password Vault. When I click on the 1Password folder, I get the message: "1Password has encountered a problem: C:\Users*****************\Documents\1Password is not a 1Password Vault.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

That's because you have to select a valid 1Password vault, which is a folder created by 1Password with a .agilekeychain extension, as explained in the article I linked to, above.

• BandGuy
    BandGuy
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

@DBrown‌

Ok. So, do I have to have Dropbox installed to use it on the computer?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

Only if you want to use Dropbox to share and sync your 1Password data with 1Password on other computers or mobile devices.

Notice that the image above shows a 1Password vault that is stored in the default location (for a standalone vault, not in the local Dropbox (for syncing).

• BandGuy
    BandGuy
    Community Member

@DBrown‌
    I just installed Dropbox. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall 1Password now to make it sync?

• BandGuy
    BandGuy
    Community Member

I just got it to work. Apparently, downloading Dropbox did the trick. Thanks everyone.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

That’s great news, @BandGuy—thanks for letting us know!

This discussion has been closed.