Why am I on DEMO mode

I have been using 1Password on Windows (synced with IPhone) for about 2 months now. Not the pro version but the other free version that I recall was available back then. When I started my computer today 1Password wanted to upgrade and I let it do so. After the upgrade I was asked to enter a license key or go on in demo mode. Since I used the free version I have no license key so the only option I had was to continue in demo mode. The demo mode expires on 21 december 2014.

What is all that about?
Have you changed something about the free license?
Is there no such thing as a restricted free license anymore?
Was it a mistake to upgrade and if so can I downgrade to the previous version that had a free (limited) license?
What will happen after 21 december 2014?

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

I used the free version

On Windows, I'm afraid we never had such a thing as a free license. Maybe you were running a beta version perhaps?

Have you changed something about the free license?

No.

Is there no such thing as a restricted free license anymore?

I'm afraid there never was such a thing.

can I downgrade to the previous version

Sure! You can download legacy versions here: https://agilebits.com/downloads

What will happen after 21 december 2014?

You won't be able to create anymore new Login items. Other than that, 1Password is fully functional.

• micke314
    micke314
    Community Member

Thanks for a quick reply.

I'm afraid we never had such a thing as a free license.

Well, you managed to fool me to believe so.

So far I have used 4.0.1.503 since 2014-09-29 without noticing anything about a demo license. I revoked my installation back and when looking that too is claiming to be on a demo license.

And by the looks of it the trial period has expired.

You won't be able to create anymore new Login items.

I tried that in the 503 version now and it worked just fine. Perhaps something you have fixed to 530?

What about the IPhone app? Is there a free version there and a pro version you need to pay for? I have an app and I don't remember paying for it.

I use dropbox to sync the password repositories between Windows and IPhone so if I'm on expired demo version on Windows will the sync stop working?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

you managed to fool me to believe so.

Maybe because our demo policy is very forgiving? It is fully functional for 30 days. After 30 days, your vault needs more than 20 items for the nag screens to kick in. And even then, you're never locked out. You have access to all your Login items and the web browser extension is not crippled.

I tried that in the 503 version now and it worked just fine.

Probably because you have fewer than 20 items in your vault.

What about the IPhone app? Is there a free version there and a pro version you need to pay for?

The iPhone app is free. There are extra features (such as multiple vaults) that require an in-app purchase.

I use dropbox to sync the password repositories between Windows and IPhone so if I'm on expired demo version on Windows will the sync stop working?

No. Sync does not stop working.

• micke314
    micke314
    Community Member

Probably because you have fewer than 20 items in your vault.

Yep, that explains what I am seeing. I just recently got up to 20 items in the vault.

Thanks for clarifying.

• Glad Stefan could help! Please let us know if you have any other questions :)

This discussion has been closed.