Trouble accessing 1PasswordAnywhere

Options
Megan
Megan
1Password Alumni
edited November 2014 in Mac
This discussion was created from comments split from: Trouble accessing 1PasswordAnywhere via Dropbox.

I've moved your question into the Windows forum where our Windows experts will be better able to help you out.

Comments

• dg0664
    dg0664
    Community Member
    Options

I too am having the same issues as OP. I am trying to access the 1Password.html file in FireFox through DropBox. The file loads and all I get is a white screen. I have tried with several browsers and no luck. The computer I am trying to access it is on my work PC and does not have 1Password installed. I have never had an issue before until the past few weeks. I tried emailing your support team but have not received a response (yes I checked my SPAM folder).

• Hi @dg0664‌,

Can you please tell us where you're trying to access 1PasswordAnywhere? Without special preparations it doesn't work locally and even then it doesn't work in all browsers.

You should check out this guide article that explains the usage of 1PasswordAnywhere.

Cheers

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dg0664 You might want to repair your vault, then try again: File > Repair 1Password Vault

• dg0664
    dg0664
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

@Megan FYI I am a Mac user but the issue happens in both Windows and OS X operating systems.

@AlexHoffman As I stated above this started happening recently. I mainly access (or used to) 1PasswordAnywhere from my work PC through DropBox from Fire Fox browser. It has worked fine for the past year and a half with no issue. I tried to access it at home via Fire Fox and Safari and no luck.

@svondutch‌ The repair option is not available on the Mac version of 1Password.

Any other suggestions?

PS: This is how I access 1PasswordAnywhere (per your instructions) normally.

To use 1PasswordAnywhere:

Sign in to your Dropbox account on the web.

On your private dropbox.com web site, locate and open the .agilekeychain folder that represents the vault you want to use.

Double-click the 1Password.html file you find inside.

Enter your master password on the “vault door” screen.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014
    Options

So, you don't have access to 1Password for Windows, in which to try @svondutch's suggestion that you repair the 1Password vault?

• dg0664
    dg0664
    Community Member
    Options

Correct. I use:

1Password
    Version 5.0.2 (502006)
    Mac App Store

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Because the problem is the same whether you try to view the file in OS X or Windows, and because you have access only to 1Password for Mac to try to correct the problem, I've moved the thread back to the forum frequented by folks more familiar with that platform.

Thanks for your patience, @dg0664‌!

• dg0664
    dg0664
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @DBrown‌. Here's hoping this can be resolved.

• Hi @dg0664‌,

I can't say with certainty why 1PasswordAnywhere isn't working for you, but I'd love to get more information so that we can try to figure that out.

The first thing I'd like us to confirm is that you've got a "contents.js" file as this file drives the majority of 1PasswordAnywhere. In Dropbox you should be able to see it under data > default directory in the AgileKeychain.

If that's not there, then something went pretty wrong, and I'd recommend the "Restart AgileKeychain From Scratch" approach below.

Next thing to check is to see if the browser is giving us any useful error messages in the Javascript Console. To do that, using Safari:

• Go to Preferences > Advanced, and make sure "Show Develop menu in menu bar" is checked (should be bottom most checkbox)
    • Use the Develop > Show Error Console menu item
    • Try to open the 1Password.html file from Dropbox
    • See if anything gets logged to the console

When I do it, I get:

[Error] SyntaxError: Unexpected token ':'. Parse error.
        insertBefore (1Password.html, line 1)
        globalEval (1Password.html, line 739)
        httpData (1Password.html, line 842)
        onreadystatechange (1Password.html, line 839)

Which doesn't seem to be a fatal error, as it still lets me authenticate and shows me my data. Let's see if you get anything else there.

If you need to be up and running quickly and don't have time to dive into this, there's one approach that's nearly guaranteed to fix it up for you. That is to Restart the AgileKeychain From Scratch.

• Disconnect all Macs, iPhones, Windows etc.. devices from sync
    • Delete the AgileKeychain file from Dropbox
    • Using the device whose data you trust the most, reconnect Sync to create a new AgileKeychain
    • Connect all other devices to the AgileKeychain

That will give you a brand new AgileKeychain. If that doesn't work then I'll really be scratching my head (but will surely still be willing to dive into why).

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Rick

• dg0664
    dg0664
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @rickfillion‌

I actually have two contents.js files.

Since I have the files in question I will hold off doing "Restart AgileKeychain From Scratch" until I hear back.. By the way I do not use Safari but Fire Fox instead.

Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dg0664‌

This tells us you have at least two agilekeychains in your Dropbox as you can't have two files identically named in the same folder. Can I ask, if you were to do a search on the string "agilekeychain" does it show 2 results or 3? If it shows 3 then it would imply one of your keychains doesn't have a contents.js file as @rickfillion‌ is suspecting.

• dg0664
    dg0664
    Community Member
    Options
  • Hi @dg0664‌,

Good to see you've got the contents.js. So now let's see if there are any Javascript errors getting reported. In Firefox you can do this by going to Tools > Web Developer > Web Console.

This will bring up a console area in the bottom of the page. Here in Firefox it reports an error/warning about "missing ; before statement", but otherwise it seems fine. Post a screenshot of the errors you get (if any). It seems that Firefox doesn't let you copy/paste out of there as text, sadly.

Rick

• dg0664
    dg0664
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion‌

Here is what I get:

Need to step out for a bit so my responses may be delayed.

Thanks for looking into this.

PS: This was done while on this page. Not sure if it needed to be done on the DropBox page. If so the results were blank.

• Hi @dg0664,

Which version of Firefox is this?

Rick

• dg0664
    dg0664
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion‌

Firefox 33.1

• @dg0664‌

Looks like you've got HTTP-everywhere installed. Can you try with that disabled? I've tried installing it here to see if it would reproduce the issue and everything worked properly here... I just want to take it out of the equation.

Does 1PasswordAnywhere work when you try with Safari or Chrome? I'm using Firefox 34.0 to do my tests here.

If no, can I get the screenshot of Javascript errors from one of those too?

Rick

• dg0664
    dg0664
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion‌

FF just upgraded to v34. Still no 1PasswordAnywhere. I disabled HTTP-everywhere and that did not resolve the issue. I aslo disable NoScript for laughs and that also did not resolve the issue.

I tried opening 1PasswordAnywhere on FF, Safari and Chrome and still no luck.

Here is the Javascript from Chrome:

Here is Safari:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dg0664‌ While we wait for @rickfillion‌ and his analytical mind could we request a slightly different Safari screenshot please. If you see that small little red icon with the 1 next to in (top-middle of the screenshot), if you were to click on that I believe we'll get the error message rather than DOM tree that I think we're looking at. Cheers :smile:

• Hi @dg0664,

Were those screenshots taken when you're viewing the 1Password.html file? It looks like they might be from the listing page on the Dropbox website.

Could you click the 1Password.html file to open it, then take a screenshot of the web console?

• dg0664
    dg0664
    Community Member
    Options

It was just from the page not with the 1Password.html file open. I just looked at the console and it's blank.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dg0664‌

One of our more experienced people wondered what happens if you copy the 1Password.agilekeychain package to your Desktop and open the html file in Safari from the local copy. To do this you would need to disable local file restrictions.

In Safari you can get around local file restrictions by choosing Develop > Disable Local File Restrictions from the menu bar.

You will need to enable the Develop menu first if you haven’t already. This is done by selecting the “Show Develop menu in menu bar” checkbox on the Advanced pane in Safari’s Preferences.

Do you see any difference if you do this?

• dg0664
    dg0664
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @littlebobbytables‌

It makes no difference. The page is still blank.

• Jasper
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi @dg0664,

Could you please email us a copy of the 1Password.html file you're using?

Just attach the 1Password.html file in a message to: support+forum@agilebits.com

The 1Password.html file just contains the code for 1PasswordAnywhere, it does not include any of your data. (Please don't send the entire 1Password.agilekeychain bundle, because that does contain your data.)

• dg0664
    dg0664
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @JasperP‌

File has been sent.

• Hi @dg0664,

Thanks for sending it in, I think I've found the issue. The 1Password.html file seems to be corrupted.

Resetting sync should fix this:

• Disable sync on all devices.
    • Delete the 1Password.agilekeychain file from Dropbox.
    • Using the device whose data is the most recent, re-enable sync to create a new keychain.
    • Enable sync on other devices.

That should fix things for you.

• dg0664
    dg0664
    Community Member
    Options

@JasperP‌

I am missing one device at the moment. Should I wait until I have it in hand again?

• Jasper
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi @dg0664,

It would be best if you wait until you're able to disable sync on all devices. If you can wait until you can access all devices, that's a good idea.

• dg0664
    dg0664
    Community Member
    Options

@JasperP‌

Roger that. I will report back when I get home from work.

This discussion has been closed.