Windows asking to backup "Encrypting File System"

I recently installed 1Password on my windows 7 computer and now I occasionally get a notice in my system tray telling me to backup my "Encrypting File System". This seems to be initiated by the operating system, and seems to be correlated with my installation of 1Password. Does anybody know what this is and if I should follow the directions to back up this system, or if I should ignore it? 1 Password already has it's own backup system.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

@mnchurch‌, that's a Windows service.

Here's some information:

The latter article refers to %WinDir%\System32\lsass.exe; I wonder whether you might have something installed that's blocking that executable.

I hope that helps, but we believe it is unrelated to 1Password.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I recently installed 1Password on my Windows 7 computer and now I occasionally get a notice in my system tray telling me to backup my "Encrypting File System"

You recently opened an attachment in 1Password via the (right-click) popup menu. We then create a temporary file. We encrypt this temporary file.

if I should follow the directions to back up this system, or if I should ignore it?

My advice is to follow the directions and back up your private key. However, if you're not using encrypted files outside of 1Password then you can ignore it.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@mnchurch‌, please let us know whether that's the case (i.e., whether you did recently open an attachment in 1Password) and whether it coincides with the message's first appearance, so we can assume that's the cause.

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.