Problems synching with two Dropbox accounts

In the beginning, things were simple. My employer did not use Dropbox and I was free to install it and use it to synch my wallet. Now, my new employer uses Dropbox for project work and has given me an account to use. So I have two DB accounts, but DB will only allow one to be linked at a time.

Have others had this come up? It would be a hassle to not be able to access all my passwords via Firefox at work. Ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

You could put your 1Password data (the entire .agilekeychain folder) in a separate Dropbox subfolder on your home PC, and then use Dropbox's built-in "share folder" feature to share that new enclosing folder with the Dropbox account you use at work.

• safetyman
    safetyman
    Community Member

Is it correct to have both "1P" and "1Password.agilekeychain" folders on my dropbox? Do I need both? My ".agilekeychain" folder is then separate.

Apparently, there is also a "1P" and a ".ws.agile.1password.settings" file on the Dropbox account I have for work. These must have been created when I initially installed 1PW on my work machine and hooked it to dropbox. Can I: 1) delete the "1P" folder and ".ws.agile.1password.settings" file that are in my work Dropbox folder (out of date because I'm only using these at work) and simply share whatever I need from my main Dropbox account with my work account? I want to be accessing and obviously modifying only one database. And is this secure?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Is "1P" a folder? It's not part of a standard 1Password configuration. Depending on its contents, you may be able to delete it—it's up to you.

A valid 1Password for Windows vault appears in the file system as a folder with a .agilekeychain extension; the default is 1Password.agilekeychain. If you delete the .agilekeychain folder that contains your 1Password for Windows data, you will no longer have access to that data, and the best you can hope for is to restore your data from a 1Password backup.

The .settings file may no longer be needed, unless you also use 1Password for Android and want to sync your 1Password for Windows data to it.

As for security, your 1Password data is as secure as your master password is strong—whether it's on Dropbox or some other cloud service, or on your own computer, for that matter.

• safetyman
    safetyman
    Community Member

@DBrown Thanks. I was able to share my 1Password.agilekeychain folder with my work Dropbox and now things are syncing all over.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Oh, that's EXCELLENT news, @safetyman! Thank you for letting us know.

This discussion has been closed.