Unable to sync and/or access 1Password vault

I'm not able to launch 1Password for some reason. It was installed on my browser and on my PC and was working fine.

I started first using 1password under the 'Admin' account on my PC. Installed it on Chrome browser, downloaded dropbox and synced 1Password with it.
All was working fine.

Here's what has changed:
I didn't want to continue using the 'admin' account so I created a new (standard) user account on windows, installed DropBox and 1password as I did when I using the Admin account.

The issue started when I installed dropbox for the new user account and tried syncing all my dropbox folders. Whenever I try to open 1Password it doesn't open as usual. Instead it gives me three options: 'I am a new to 1Password', 'I have used 1Password before' or 'Restore 1Password vault form backup..'

I tried selecting the middle option and tried to find the vault but it doesn't seem to work. I've looked in my Dropbox sync folder on my PC since that's where the 1Password folder is/was synced but it's not working.
It gives me the following message:

"c:\users\user name\dropbox\apps\1password\1password.agilekeychain" is not a 1Password vault."
dropbox is probably busy syncing your 1Password Vault. Please wait.

I've tried reinstalling Dropbox and syncing my folders but the issue remains.

Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix this?

Do I need to create a new vault? should I uninstall 1Password and re-install it? I don't want to lose all my saved password and other info...

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Is that the path to your 1Password data? More specifically, can you use that exact same path as the vault in 1Password when you're logged in to the admin account?

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

How do I find out the correct path?

I thought it was the correct one since it was working fine. It only stopped working when I installed Dropbox on the non-admin user account and tried to sync my files. Including the 'apps' folder in dropbox which contained the 1Password data. Something might have went wrong with the sync.

what I just did is tried launching 1Password again and this time I selected '1Password vault from backup' when prompted and went into my original admin account and found the latest backup and loaded that. It seemed to work.

is that it?

right now the 1Password vault location is residing locally on the non-admin user account (where I want it) but I want to sync it with my dropbox so I can sync it with my other devices when on the road.

what should I do now? do I need to go into 'Preferences', 'General' tab and change the location and select 'move to dropbox'?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014
    1. Please log in to the admin account, launch 1Password, press Ctrl+P, and select the General tab.

What is the full path shown in the 1Password Vault field?

2. Next, log in to the non-admin account, launch 1Password, press Ctrl+P, and select the General tab.

What is the full path shown in the 1Password Vault field?

3. Are both Windows accounts (admin and non-admin) associated with the same Dropbox account?

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

hi @DBrown‌ , thanks for your help.

1. when I log in to the admin account and launch 1Pass, it brings up the same prompt as it did when I launched 1Pass
      using the non-admin account...i.e. the options in the pop-up window are:
      'I am a new to 1Password'
      'I have used 1Password before'
      'Restore 1Password vault form backup..'

2. so I couldn't really follow the rest of the steps you mentiond. However, since I can run 1Pass now on my non-admin account after loading it from a backup, the full path to the vault on the non-admin account is as follows:

C:\Users\[non-admin account]\Documents\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain

3. yes, both Windows accounts are associated with the same Dropbox account.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Item 1 tells us that 1Password isn't finding a valid .agilekeychain folder in the default location or in your local Dropbox folder hierarchy.

Item 2 proves that the .agilekeychain folder being used on your non-admin account is not under Dropbox control; that is, it's not stored in its local Dropbox folder hierarchy.

Possible solution

Is the data in 1Password on the non-admin account complete? In other words, does it contain all your Logins and other saved items?

• If so, you can click the Move to Dropbox button on that account.

• If not, we can try walking you through an alternative solution.

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

I believe you're correct in regards to items 1 & 2

I loaded the data onto the non-admin account from the latest (December 2, 2014) backup from the admin folder where 1Password was stored originally. So it's not completely up to date but it's pretty close. I didn't really add much info in the past two days. So no big loss there.

The next thing I like to do is:

1) 'clean up' any remaining old data from the admin account having to do with 1password. Should I just delete the entire 1Password folder and its contents in the admin account? there are two folders. One is empty. The other contains a whole bunch of 1Password.agilekeychain.zip files

2) Like you suggested, sync the current .agilekeychain folder on the non-admin account with Dropbox.
    But before I do that and select the Move to Dropbox option, I like to avoid any further conflicts.
    Do you suggest I first delete any or all the existing 1Password data online in Dropbox first? right now there is a folder called "Apps" and a file called ".ws.agile.1Password.settings" in Dropbox online and they're not synced locally to the Dropbox folder on the non-admin account.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

As I understand it, your non-admin account now has the 1Password data you want to use.

Is that correct?

• If not, please let us know before you continue.

• If it is correct, though, what is the full path that's listed in the 1Password Vault field on the General tab of 1Password preferences?

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

yes, correct.

the path is: C:\Users[user account]\Documents\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

OK, that path shows us that your 1Password data in the non-admin account is not yet under Dropbox control.

If you're sure that's the data you want 1Password to use:

1. Log in to the admin account, launch 1Password, find the path to your 1Password data, and delete that .agilekeychain folder.

2. Log in to the non-admin account, launch 1Password, press Ctrl+P, select the General tab, and click the Move to Dropbox button.

3. Let Dropbox copy your 1Password data up to your private dropbox.com web site.

4. Log in to the admin account again, and let Dropbox copy your 1Password down from your private dropbox.com web site.

5. Still in the admin account, launch 1Password, choose File > Open 1Password Vault, and select the .agilekeychain folder synced from your non-admin account. It'll be in the same location in Dropbox as in the non-admin account.

I hope that helps, @raahh. Please let us know how it goes.

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

Just so I'm clear on step 1, it doesn't really let me launch 1Password on the admin account (doesn't recognize a vault). But what I can do is manually go into the folder on the hard drive and delete that .agilekeychain folder. There actually is no vault stored locally on the admin account. Only those 1Password .zip files.

Also, do I need to delete the existing 1Password data from dropbox.com before I continue with step 2? to avoid conflicts.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

The .agilekeychain folder is the vault. There's no internal database, so that's the only local copy of your 1Password data. (The .zip files, which should be in a different folder, are backup files created by the Backup command in 1Password.)

Anything you delete from your private dropbox.com web site or from any computer associated with the same Dropbox account will instantly be deleted from all of those places. That's how Dropbox works. Don't delete anything from one of them that you don't want deleted from all of them.

If you have a .agilekeychain folder in your private dropbox.com we site before step 2, I believe it's OK to delete it before clicking the Move to Dropbox button in 1Password whiled logged in to the non-admin account. (I assume you've got 1Password's automatic backups working in that account, in case anything goes wrong, but it wouldn't hurt to trigger one manually, as well.)

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

okay, I got rid of any 1Password data from the admin account

I deleted the 'apps' folder and any file associated with 1password from my private dropbox.com account.

now, I noticed the 1Password vault i'm currently using localy on the non-admin account is outdated.

I like to restore from a latest backup that is more recent. In order to do this:

• I opened 1Password through Chrome browser extension
    • went into the 'Backup' menu up top
    • selected 'backup' then 'restore 1Password vault from backup'
    • selected the .zip I want to replace it with...then I get a prompt with two options:
      "would you like to replace the current 1Password Data Folder, or restore to this new one and open it?

I didn't know which one to select. What's the difference?

After I restore the latest vault, I will Move to Dropbox then sync across all devices (I use a netbook as well)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

"Replace the current data folder" means literally that. Say you're currently using 1Password.agilekeychain, and you select a backup of that vault. "Replace the current data folder" will leave you still using 1Password.agilekeychain, only it'll now hold the data that was in the backup file, replacing everything that was in that vault before.

"Restore to this new one and open it" is less clearly named. :( Say you're currently using 1Password.agilekeychain, and you select a backup of that vault. Noticee that the message box shows a filename C:\...\1Password 2.agilekeychain? "Restore to this new one and open it"will restore data in the selected backup file to 1Password 2.agilekeychain, leaving your old data still in 1Password.agilekeychain.

If you're still sure you want to use the data from the backup, choose the former option, "Replace the current data folder."

If you think you might want to compare the restored backup data with what you had before, choose the latter option, "Restore to this new one and open it."

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Got it. Thanks for clarifying the bit about restoring from backup.

I successfully restored the vault I wanted to the non-admin account and 'Moved it to Dropbox'

Re: I didn't follow steps 4 and 5 in your second last post for the Admin account since I don't want it synced for the Admin account.
    I did however want to use the same vault on a netbook so the steps came in handy and I was able to use the same vault on the netbook.

Thank you for all your patience and help, @DBrown‌. I should be all set to go now and the bonus is I understand 1Password functionality better now.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

We're always happy to help, @raahh, but it's awfully nice to receive such positive feedback—thank you for taking the time!

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

I used to work in tech support. One of my coworkers said to me once, in IT, "you're only as good (to the user) as the last problem you solve." I thought that's true generally speaking unfortunately.... in the banking environment anyway. :) So I know what it's like.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Support can be very rewarding.

Thanks again for your kind comment, @raahh. Have a great week!

This discussion has been closed.