Create new login from generated password.

Is there really no way to create a new login from the the list of generated passwords in 1Password? Do I have to copy and paste the password into a new item?

The generated passwords already have the location and the password, it seems so natural to have a way to just save that information and create a login from it.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

By what steps did you create the Generated Password item, @Jables?

• Jables
    Jables
    Community Member
    • 1Password 4
    • Windows 8.1
    • Google Chrome

Step One:

Step two:

For whatever reason, sometimes 1Password does not prompt to update a password when certain password forms are submitted. Perhaps because the submission is done asynchronously.

So, I go into 1Password, and find that generated passwords are conveniently stored in their own section, however, there is no way to save them permanently into logins.

2.png 21.8K
    1.png 21.7K
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

As far as I know, there's no "convert Password item to Login item" in 1Password for Windows.

Instead, go to the site's login form, enter the username and newly generated password (using copy-and-paste), but don't submit the login form yet.

Click on the 1Password button in the browser toolbar, and choose Settings > Save new Login.

In the dialog box that appears, change Create new Login to Replace [Login name], and click Save.

(Back on the site's login page, you can continue with the login, if you like.)

I hope that helps, @Jables. Please let us know how it goes.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@Jables When the 1Password auto-save window creates a new Login item, then it will seek out for generated password items in your Vault. When it finds a matching generated password (having the same password for the same domain), then it will move this generated password to your Trash after it has created a new Login item.

• Jables
    Jables
    Community Member

I wasn't aware of the Save New Login function. That will help, thanks.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

We're always happy to help, @Jables. Let us know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.