How to delete an outdated widows vault and refresh from Dropbox.

I can not get my agilebites keychain on Dropbox to correctly synch 1P on a windows machine with Firefox. When I open the vault in 1PW I see an old outdated vault.. I have in the past used it before sucessfully.

I currently have two macs that correctly share the agilebites keychain on dropbox and they work great.

How can I get the windows machine to access the correct vault.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

First, be very careful deleting anything from anywhere in the Dropbox folder hierarchy: Understand that Dropbox will sync that deletion to all other devices associated with the same Dropbox account. In other words, what you delete on one device will be deleted from all of them and from your private dropbox.com web site.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

That said, your 1Password data is stored internally on the two Macs, so you can recreate the Dropbox-synced copy (called the "share point", the .agilekeychain folder) from that internal information.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

More to the point, though: When you launch the main 1Password program on your PC, do you see your complete 1Password data? In other words, are all your Logins and other saved items there?

(I ask because you mention Firefox, which makes me wonder whether the information is only missing from the 1Password extension for Firefox, rather than missing from your PC altogether.)

• DickPhoto
    DickPhoto
    Community Member

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. The data on the PC in the Vault is outdated and needs to be replaced.

• DickPhoto
    DickPhoto
    Community Member

DBrown, I hear what you say about being careful about deleting from Dropbox, I had not considered that before. Thanks

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

The data on the PC in the Vault is outdated and needs to be replaced.

If your 1Password data is complete on the two Macs:

1. Quit 1Password on the PC.
    2. In 1Password on the other Mac, disable Dropbox syncing; quit 1Password.
    3. In 1Password on the "master" Mac—the one that has the 1Password data you want to use—disable Dropbox syncing.
    4. On any machine, log in to your private dropbox.com web site, and delete the .agilekeychain folder.
    5. Wait for that deletion to sync to all the other machines; that is, wait until the .agilekeychain folder is deleted from both Macs and the PC.
    6. In 1Password on the "master" Mac, enable Dropbox syncing again; wait for Dropbox to copy the new .agilekeychain folder up to your private dropbox.com web site and down to the other Mac and the PC.
    7. In 1Password on the other Mac, re-establish Dropbox syncing, being sure to choose the new .agilekeychain folder as the "sync point." (Please see the 1Password for Mac user's guide for details—I'm least familiar with the details of this step.)
    8. In 1Password on the PC, select the new .agilekeychain folder as your 1Password vault.

I hope that helps. Please let us know how it goes!

• DickPhoto
    DickPhoto
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

I have followed your instructions 1 thru 4, but the syncing is not occurring on the master (Mac Pro) computer.

Specifically I have:

1. Quit 1P on the PC.

2. On the other Mac (Mac Book Pro) I have Paused dropbox syncing by clicking on the Dropbox icon in the top menu bar. This gives the dropbox icon with a little overlay looking like {} . I have inserted a photo of this. I hope this shows,

3. I also disabled dropbox syncing on the Master Mac.

4. I logged into the dropbox on the MacBook Pro and deleted all files and folders related to 1PW.

5. I have waited 1/2 hour for the 1Password.agilekeychain do be deleted but it does NOT get deleted.

I suspect I have something issue with Dropbox syncing that is not correct.

I am stuck.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the confusion, @DickPhoto.

In my instructions, steps 2 and 3 both say "In 1Password...disable syncing":

Instead, you paused Dropbox syncing:

The reason Dropbox hasn't propagated the deletion of the .agilekeychain folder to the other machines is because you've told it not to sync changes. (That's what pausing syncing does.)

It's very important that you read the instructions carefully.

Please try the procedure again, and let us know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.