How to login to programs/sites when prompted with a separate login window?

I'm having difficulty logging into some programs and websites (e.g. evernote, ToDoist) using 1Password.

The usernames and passwords for the program/sites (e.g. Evernote, Todoist) I'm trying to log into are already saved in 1Password (I did it manually), but whenever I launch the program in question, it pops up with a separate login window and that's where I run into trouble.

I try clicking on the 1password extension in chrome then Chrome becomes the active window and 1Password doesn't recognize that I want to login to another program in a completely separate window. This is the case with Evernote running on Windows 8.1 on a tablet for example.

Sometimes if I right-click with the mouse in the username field for the program I'm trying to log into, I get a '1Password' option then I can select the proper login successfully but for others I don't get that option.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

@raahh‌ Here is something you can try. When the popup window appears, do not click the 1Password button. Press the Ctrl+\ keyboard shortcut. Please let us know whether or not this is working for you. Thanks!

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

@svondutch. I tried what you suggested with Todoist and Evernote login windows but nothing happened.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@raahh‌ Can you send us the URLs where you're seeing this? I would love to reproduce (and maybe fix) your problem. Thanks!

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Hi,
    I'm actually _not _trying to login to the apps on their respective websites so I'm not sure what you mean by URL.

Just to clarify, I'm launching the standalone desktop apps for Evernote and Todoist, that's where I run into trouble.

if I try to login to the apps on their respective site then pressing Ctrl+\ works fine.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hello @raahh‌,

In the case of applications, you might want to try that solution : https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/creating-an-application-login

It doesn't work 100% with all apps but i was able to make it work with some without any problem.

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

sorry, there was a mistake in my last post. I meant to say I'm NOT trying to login to the apps on their respective websites.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

Thanks, @raahh—it looks like that's what you did say in reply #5, so maybe you were able to edit it.

Anyway, have you tried the steps in the Creating an application Login article that @J.m linked in reply #6?

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

I did go back and edit it, @DBrown‌

I haven't had a chance to try that yet. I will tomorrow if I get time. I'm flying out on the 9th.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Have a safe trip, and let us know how it goes, whenever you get a chance. We'll be here. :)

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

hi @DBrown, it went great. I installed Skype and 1pass on the netbook.

• Hi @raahh,

Welcome back, I'm glad to hear it went great. Were you able to get the Skype's window inserted as a URL in your Login item for Skype first? If yes, pressing Control + \ in the Skype application's login window didn't work for you?

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT Ctonrol + \ still doesn't work in Skype's separate login window for some reason. but it's okay, I have auto-login enabled so it just logs in automatically when i launch skype but if i use another PC then it becomes a nuisance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

@raahh: Thanks for getting back to us! I'm sorry you're having trouble using 1Password to log into the Skype app. I tried this with both the regular Windows desktop app and the Modern app, and in both cases the login details wouldn't fill using Auto-Type.

I'm reporting this issue so that the development team can investigate to see if there's a way to get this working for you. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention! :)

Edit: It turns out there was a problem with my Skype login in the first place. After re-saving it (the webform had placed the username in the wrong field), I was able to get it to fill.

If you have the Skype app 'URL' saved as something other than the first item in the URL list for the login, make sure you have 1Password File > Preferences > Logins > Enable multiple URLs turned on and let me know if that helps. :)

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

Hi @brenty thanks for the tip. I 'Enabled multiple URls' as you suggested.

However, when I launch the desktop Skype app it prompts me with a separate window and I can't use the Ctrl + \ key combination to login at all. I need to go into my 1password vault to look up the username and password manually.

• I just tried this and it should be easily solvable: Referring to the guide about creating application logins you will need to adapt the application login for the new, separate window Skype uses for the login process.

Please let us know if this helps.

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

Hi @AlexHoffmann I did as you suggested but it didn't make a difference. Unless I'm doing something incorrectly.

here's what I did:
    I created a manual login and held down the Ctrl key as stated in the instructions in the guide and selected 'skype' as the app.

launched Skype on my PC, separate login window appears (not in my browser) prompting me to enter my username and password. Not sure what to do from there. I tried pressing Ctrl+\ but nothing happens. What am I missing?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@raahh: If you don't follow these steps exactly, the app login will not work:

Creating an application Login

Was there a particular step you were having trouble with? Perhaps a screenshot might shed some light on things.

Do you have both your Skype username and password saved in the login? If so, make sure you place the text cursor in the (empty) username field before pressing Ctrl \. If you can tell me the exact steps you're taking I'll see if I can produce the issue you're having. Thanks in advance! :)

• raahh
    raahh
    Community Member

@brenty it worked! thanks all.

note: the instructions are a little inaccurate/confusing.

after step 3 ....After entering the username and password and clicking 'OK', the window closes and one needs to go back into the login information....so the part about clicking on the the 'details' button doesn't make sense...

maybe it should say right-click on newely created item and select 'Edit' or double-click to open the item.

Also when one holds down the Ctrl key the 'Add URL' button changes to 'Add App' ...that's not mentioned in the steps.

The the rest of the steps are fine.

not a big deal, I got it to work but just letting you know.

Thanks again.

• MikeT
    edited July 2015

Hi @raahh,

Thanks for your feedback, we did meant the details view of the item you just saved but I can understand why it is not clear, we'll clarify this.

The Add URL > Add App was changed long after this specific guide, we will update it. A

Again, thanks a lot for telling us, we will update and simplify this guide further.

ref: DOCS-531

This discussion has been closed.