Universal unlock not working properly

When I unlock through the browser prompt, the app doesn't get unlocked. I am using the Secure Desktop for regular unlocks. On Mac any kind of unlock is universal.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

As you've probably noticed, @kathampy‌, 1Password or Mac and 1Password for Windows have a few unique characteristics, mostly because they're engineered from the ground up for two very different operating systems.

As noted in the Excessive data locking article in the 1Password 4 for Windows knowledgebase, there is one scenario in which unlocking the extension doesn't unlock the main program. Does that article describe your situation?

If not, can I ask you to clarify "using the Secure Desktop for regular unlocks"?

For background, you might this information in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide helpful:

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

That implies that it's somehow not a security risk on Mac when the browser unlocks the helper first when the main application is not running.

I've checked the "Unlock on Secure Desktop" box.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

That implies that it's somehow not a security risk on Mac when the browser unlocks the helper first when the main application is not running.

Again, the Mac and Windows are not the same in every way. The "1Password mini" and the 1Password helper is one such difference.

I've checked the "Unlock on Secure Desktop" box.

Does the behavior change if you disable that option on the Browsers tab of 1Password for Windows preferences?

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member

I'd rather leave it switched on to prevent keyloggers. The manual implies it won't matter anyway.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

If you're willing to disable it for just long enough to test the behavior, it would be helpful to know whether there's any change.

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Just tried it and it still asks for the password when unlocking from the browser. Is 1Password Mini the same process as the main application?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Here's the description of the Mini from the 1Password 5 for Mac user's guide:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/1password-mini?q=mini

1Password for Windows does not include a "mini", though the helper is also responsible for providing access to some 1Password functions from the system tray, if that option is enabled.

Neither of them is the same as the main application/program on their respective platforms, though.

This discussion has been closed.