Windows not syncing with Apples

I have been using 1Password on my Mac, iPhone, and iPad with much success. I have been using multiple vaults that I have been able to share with others using Apple products through Dropbox. I have a Windows machine for work purposes that I need to share a vault with from my Apple world. The initial sync through Dropbox worked and I was able to access all of the information in that particular vault. Now, when I update or add items to the vault from my Windows machine and try to sync back to everything else through Dropbox it doesn't work. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall both Dropbox and 1Password on the Windows machine to no avail.

How do I get the information on the Windows machine to populate back to the Apple devices?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

The beauty of Dropbox is that, set up correctly, it takes care of the syncing in all directions.

If your 1Password data is no longer syncing, the first step is to confirm that Dropbox is still working on your PC.

1. On your PC, open the Dropbox root folder, and create a small non-empty text file with a name you can easily recognize.

2. In a browser, visit your private dropbox.com web site.

Is the file there?

3. On your Mac, open the Dropbox root folder.

Is the file there?

4. Now do the same thing, only in the other direction: new file on the Mac, check your private dropbox.com web site, check on the PC.

Does the file show up at each step, as expected?

• windowstomac
    windowstomac
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Hi DBrown, I'm having the same issue. I've put in a test a file and my Dropbox is working fine. Like the user above, I was able to initially sync my Mac 1Password data to my Windows. But that data is no longer updating. It just sits statically. Changes I make to Mac data don't sync to my Windows, and changes I make to my data on Windows don't sync back to my Mac. Thanks for your help!

• windowstomac
    windowstomac
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Update - I initiated a sync from the Windows side, and that syncs fine between Windows and Mac. The difference seems to be that 1Password.agilekeychain is a file when shared from Windows, not a folder (which it is when I share from Mac).

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

There is no way to initiate a sync between 1Password for Windows and 1Password for Mac using Dropbox—Dropbox itself handles sync automatically and virtually instantaneously, completely outside 1Password on either machine.

Can you let us know exactly what steps you took?

Also, a .agilekeychain folder is exactly that: a folder. You can see that in Windows and on your private dropbox.com web site. On a Mac, it's displayed as a special type of folder, called a package, that is typically treated like a single file for convenience (and to discourage direct manipulation of its contents, which could render your 1Password data unusable).

• Van_Allen_O_Shea
    Van_Allen_O_Shea
    Community Member

I might have a more complicated issue than I originally thought. I am using two Dropbox accounts, one on my Apple products and one on the PC. I shared the 1Password folder from the Apple to the PC's Dropbox and it worked the first time. Now Dropbox doesn't show that folder as "shared" at all on the PC.

So I've shared it from the PC to my Mac and now how do I get 1Password to use this folder to sync? To make it more complicated, this is one of three vaults I have and I don't want to change the sync for any of the other vaults.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I believe sync method is established individually for each vault in 1Password for Mac, @Van_Allen_O_Shea‌. In 1Password for Windows, there's only one supported method for syncing with a Mac, and that's Dropbox.

If Dropbox on your PC doesn't recognize the shared folder, you may need to share it again, using Dropbox's built-in "share folder" feature.

Once that's done, just launch 1Password 4 for Windows, choose File > Open 1Password Vault, and choose the shared .agilekeychain folder that is the vault you want to use.

I hope that helps, @Van_Allen_O_Shea‌. Please let us know how it goes.

• Van_Allen_O_Shea
    Van_Allen_O_Shea
    Community Member

DBrown, I think I figured out what the issue is. My 1Password on my PC is a trial and I'm guessing the trial is over so any sort of syncing capability has now gone, even though the program still works on the PC. I've contacted your support team to see how to rectify this. Hopefully it'll work. Thank you for the suggestions on how to make this work.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

My 1Password on my PC is a trial and I'm guessing the trial is over so any sort of syncing capability has now gone

That doesn't sound right. We do NOT stop sync when your trial is over.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@Van_Allen_O_Shea‌, @svondutch is correct: sync is not related to trial/paid mode.

Please try the steps described above, and let us know whether that helps.

(You're working with Support and Dev, in this thread. The forums really are the place to get the fastest answers. :) )

• Van_Allen_O_Shea
    Van_Allen_O_Shea
    Community Member

It seems to be working now. I tried the adding a folder to Dropbox on either end and that worked but the syncing didn't. I then went and disabled and enabled the syncing again and it worked (as in the items on the PC can now be seen on the Mac stuff). Maybe it was just looking at the wrong folder when it tried to sync. Thank you for all of the help and patience.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

We're always glad to help @Van_Allen_O_Shea‌. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out!

This discussion has been closed.