Internet Explorer 11 Enhanced Mode problem

I can't get the browser extension to work. Clicking the icon produces the "isn't compatible with Internet Explorer's Enhanced Protected Mode" message.
I'm using the latest version of 1password (4.1.0.530).
Windows 8.1
I've followed the instructions in the KB article about IE settings:
https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows-kb/4/en/topic/enhanced-protected-mode
but they made no difference.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Can you send us a screen shot of the error message? I recently added some more diagnostics info to it. Thanks!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

You disabled (unchecked, as shown below) both of these options and restarted Windows, @johndavidson‌?

• Enable Enhanced Protected Mode (Windows 7 and 8)
    • Enable 64-bit processes for Enhanced Protected Mode (Windows 8 only)

• Specky
    Specky
    Community Member

I can't get it to work, too (Win 7 pro SP1, 64bit). I've got the 1password symbol but every time I press it I get the error message that the protected mode is enabled...

What I've done so far:

• Protected Mode idisabled (under advanced tab and in registry)
    • restarted Windows several times
    • activated and deactivated 1password addon
    • deleted 1password addons in registry
    • reconfigured 1password ie addon through browser preferences in 1password

In Firefox it is working fine. But some websites prefer IE!

• Can you try downloading the beta version of 1Password from here -

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4#beta

Please let us know if this helps.

• Specky
    Specky
    Community Member

I installed beta 4.3.2.BETA-565, restarted the computer, disabled/enabled the IE addon in the preferences with no luck. This version of 1password neither helped me.

Please have a look at my configuration. Could it be a 32/64bit mismatch?.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@Specky For some reason, IE is running in 64-bit mode (not in 32-bit mode). Are you sure both these settings are turned OFF?

1. Enable Enhanced Protected Mode
    2. Enable 64-bit processes for Enhanced Protected Mode

Alternatively, you can try and start IE from this location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

• Specky
    Specky
    Community Member

@svondutch

I did a little research and found out, that Windows 7 pro 64-bit doesn't seem to have a 32-bit Version of IE:

There is on IE11 only the one browser - not as on previous editions the option of choosing the 64 bit
    E11 will deal with the demands on it automatically
    If your computer has a x64 processor the x64 version of IE11 is installed.
    There is only one version of IE11 installed. Tabs and Windows will open in either x86 or x64 modes, depending upon ActiveX content of web pages.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1120002-internet-explorer-11-32bit-64bit.html

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@Specky Correct -- there is one version of IE 11 and one version only. However, you should be able to instruct it to run in 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode. That is what the "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" and "Enable 64-bit processes" are for -- they turn on 64-bit mode.

• Specky
    Specky
    Community Member

@svenvondutch

I disabled "Enable Enhanced Protecded Mode" already and rebooted the computer several times. But there is no "Enable 64-bit processes" option (maybe I'm blind):

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@Specky Correct - on Windows 7 there is a single setting. Only on Windows 8 with IE 11, there are 2 separate settings.

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-enable-64-bit-internet-explorer-processes/

• PBAdams
    PBAdams
    Community Member

I'm getting the same problem on Windows 7 (latest 1pqssword beta). I've verified that Enhanced Protected mode is OFF.

I've experienced 1password not working with IE 11 for about 2 weeks now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@PBAdams: Open up Task Manager (ctrl+shift+esc) and tell me what iexplore processes you see there. If Internet Explorer is running in full 64-bit mode, you should see only iexplore.exe processes listed. If, however, you see any iexplore.exe *32 processes listed, that would indicate that the individual tabs are running in 32-bit mode:

On Windows 7 64-bit, the main browser process will always run in 64-bit mode (showing as iexplore.exe). Which version of Internet Explorer are you running? We will get this sorted out for you. :)

• Specky
    Specky
    Community Member

I can't get this to work. IE won't start in 32 bit mode, even if I start it out of the x86 Path and I open multiple tabs. The setting "Enable Enhanced Protection Mode" is disabled as you suggested.

• Hi guys,

@Specky, can you tell us what anti-virus solution you might have installed on your computer? We've heard that Webroot would trigger this warning and by temporarily disabling it, it would actually allow 1Password to work in IE without any issues.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Specky: Yikes. Either there is a problem with IE itself or something else is causing this issue. Please try the following:

1. Enable Enhanced Protection Mode
    2. Restart Windows
    3. Check the Enhanced Protection Mode settings to verify that it is enabled
    4. Disable Enhanced Protection Mode
    5. Restart IE and check to make sure it's showing as disabled
    6. Check the process(es) in Task Manager
    7. Try 1Password again

As MikeT suggested, it may be that your security software is somehow forcing Enhanced Protection Mode on, even if it isn't reflected in Internet Options. Please let us know what you find!

This discussion has been closed.