Launch a program and enter fields (SSH terminal)

PhoenixDown
PhoenixDown
Community Member
edited December 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

At work, I am have different emulators and what I would like to do is:

a) Use 1Password to Launch a specific .exe file.

b) Have it fill in specific fields with the Application Name and then on subsequent screen my log in and password.

How can I best do that?

thanks

• John

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

1Password isn't designed to launch programs.

You can, however, create and use what we call application Logins (though I'm not sure they'd work for applications with multiple-screen login sequences).

I hope that helps, @PhoenixDown‌. Please let us know how it goes.

• PhoenixDown
    PhoenixDown
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Thanks - I just stumbled across that link. I'll mess around with it

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Great! Let us know how it goes.

• PhoenixDown
    PhoenixDown
    Community Member

It looks like the Ctrl+\ method will be easiest for now and I'll just type in the app names which are memorized. I think having a better two step authentication process is really needed however.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/creating-multi-page-logins

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I'm afraid I don't understand either of these points in your reply, @PhoenixDown‌: typing in the app names, and a better two-step authentication process.

Can you clarify?

• PhoenixDown
    PhoenixDown
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Sure .... its about automation. Many corporate and IT folks need to log into main frame or terminal based systems. The Application Log In process works but only in so far as typing out the user name and password. I think it would be beneficial if we can add steps/actions to the process.

i.e:

Step 1: Enter "Application Name" into Application Field and Enter

Step 2: Enter "User Name" into User Name Field

Step 3: Enter "Password" into Pass Word Field

Step 4: Enter "whatever" into Whatever field and Enter

This also ties into the fact that banks and other sites are now starting to place the user name on one page and password (and maybe secret question) on second page.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

As I wrote above, we already have a couple of ways to handle multiple-page login sequences. I don't know that anyone has tried it, but you should be able to create a separate Login item for each "step" in a multiple-form application login sequence, as well, similar to what's described in that article.

I'm not sure about invoking the application in the first place, though. It's quite far outside the intended use of 1Password that I'm not sure how it would be incorporated without a major overhaul

Our Dev team is awesome, though, which is why we never say "never." :) Thanks for letting us know that would be useful to you, @PhoenixDown‌!

• PhoenixDown
    PhoenixDown
    Community Member

Invoking an app was just on my hopeful wish list. lol

thank you for the help. I'll probably have other stupid questions :)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

No stupid ones, yet, but we'll let you know. ;)

This discussion has been closed.