How to backup *all* settings - 1PW Windows

mia
mia
Community Member
edited December 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Title says it all.

There are various registry, local settings, cached icons, -everything- that 1PW has scattered across the system.

I searched the forum and google and didn't find the answer I needed. Is there a definitive guide that shows you how to restore every single setting that I have tuned in 1PW? Again, I am not asking to backup the vault, in as much as backing up the actual 1Password settings.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@mia You can export this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AgileBits

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Hi svon,

I didn't want to predispose you guys to the answers I had found, but I found the following:

REG:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Agile Web Solutions

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AgileBits

FILES:

C:\Users\stisev\AppData\Roaming\AgileBits

Anything else I missed?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@mia sounds like you have everything.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@svondutch, is the "Agile Web Solutions" key still used in 1Password 4 for Windows, or is it a leftover from a previous installation of version 1 on that machine?

• mia
    mia
    Community Member

DBrown, it must be from 1PW 4. I just wiped this computer clean (which I why I wanted portable to begin with :D -- I do frequest reinstallations).

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

If that's the case then it's still leftover imo. @svondutch fixed a similar issue with an Agile Web Solutions folder being created in %APPDATA. There's no need to pollute the our registries any more than necessary. ;)

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

I agree. I wish all of the settings in the registry could be stored in an .INI file. I don't see why that's not possible. (I've asked for it before so I won't get into it again).

RichardPayne: There is still a folder created by 1PW C:\Users\mia\AppData\Roaming\AgileBits containing the following:

watchtower folder

• vuln.sqlite
    • vuln.sqlite.sha256

4 randomly numbered PNG files containing favicons. Drives my OCD nuts. Wish most windows software stored their settings in their respective folders.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

The Agilebits folder is fine. The program was creating an "Agile Web Solutions" folder as well when handle licensing. This is fixed.

Not sure what you mean by "their folder"? If you mean their installation folder under Program Files then you're wrong. This is precisely where they should not be storing stuff. In fact, from Windows 7 on this is enforced by the OS. You need elevated privileges to write a file in Program Files.

The user profile folder (c:\Users\mia in your case) is the correct place to store user data. There is also c:\ProgramData for any files that need to be shared across users.

This setup is designed to protected your executables from tampering.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

If that's the case then it's still leftover imo.

Yes, creating a folder or registry key named "Agile Web Solutions" seems suboptimal.

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Hi Richard,

Yea I guess that's true.

This discussion has been closed.