Problems sync'ing with multiple devices, multiple Chrome identities, multiple OSs

stuartliroff
stuartliroff
Community Member
edited December 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Problem

======

1) install 1password on my Windows 7 workstation

2) mistake: install Vault on my machine instead of in dropbox

3) try to move the vault to dropbox; nope; what do i do???

4) download 1password on my Windows 8.1 laptop

5) try to install it; asking for my vault which doesn't exist.

6) now what?

7) install 1password on my iPad; doesn't know who I am

8) install 1password on my Android phone; doesn't know who I am

9) how to install on multiple Google Chrome identities.

Yes, I've read all the documentation, but none of it has helped.

It seems like I should have installed the vault into a dropbox cloud file, but how do I move my vault over there? 1Password won't allow me to move the vault to dropbox.

Totally confused and thank you in advance for your help.

Stuart

Comments

• stuartliroff
    stuartliroff
    Community Member

"Move to Dropbox" is opaque; i.e. it does NOT allow me to move my vault to dropbox; I have a dropbox account; do I need to do something special on dropbox to have dropbox files locally????

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

2) This is not a mistake. Your 1Password vault has to be on your PC, or 1Password can't use it; also, it has to be in the local Dropbox storage hierarchy on your PC, or it won't be synced to other devices. In this article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide, the third item ("You’re ready to set up Dropbox so you can share and sync your 1Password data with other computers and mobile devices.") provides instructions. As noted at the top of that article, you do have to have Dropbox installed on the PC first, or Dropbox sync won't work.

3) By "try to move the vault to dropbox" do you mean that you tried to click the Move to Dropbox button? If so, is that what your follow-up reply is referring to—that you couldn't click the button on the General tab of 1Password preferences? If so, please see this article in the 1Password 4 for Windows knowledgebase.

5) If Dropbox sync isn't set up and working on the first PC and on the second PC, it's no surprise that your vault hasn't been copied to the second PC, yet.

7) 1Password doesn't include the concept of who you are. Once you get Dropbox sync set up and working on the first PC, you'll be able to use the synced vault on your iPad, as well.

8) See #7, above.

9) This one I'm not sure about. Do you use multiple "Chrome identities" in the same Windows account on the same PC?

We'll do everything we can to figure out what's going on and get things working for you, @stuartliroff.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

For number 9, just make the profile you want to load the extension into the current one. Open a new tab to force this. Then use the Install button in the 1Password Preferences window's Browsers tab. It should open the extension install page in the correct profile's window. If it doesn't, you can just copy and paste the url from one browser instance to another.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @RichardPayne‌!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

"Move to Dropbox" is opaque; i.e. it does NOT allow me to move my vault to dropbox; I have a dropbox account; do I need to do something special on dropbox to have dropbox files locally?

You need to download and install the Dropbox client on your PC: https://dropbox.com/download

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

You need to download and install the Dropbox client on your PC

As noted in the Move to Dropbox button disabled article in the 1Password 4 for Windows knowledgebase (accessible from the user's guide article linked from reply #3. above), not having Dropbox installed is one of several reasons the Move to Dropbox button might be disabled.

Please see that article for full details, and let us know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.