Syncing PC to Mac via Dropbox

I have had 1PW running on my Mac for a while now and just tried to get things running and syncing on my PC laptop using Dropbox. I am having no luck at all. I fear that I made a wrong step somewhere along the line. Is there a way to start all over again on the PC?

1. If so what is the procedure?
  2. Once doing that if possible where will I find a step by step instructions on getting them to sync up together?

thanks in advance

Comments

• golfgame
    golfgame
    Community Member

Take a look at the screen shot. When I say OK it does not scan dropbox for the file

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

Sorry for the confusion, @golfgame. The Scan Dropbox option controls whether 1Password looks for a vault in your local Dropbox storage when you launch 1Password. Clicking that OK button just saves your preference settings.

The screen shot shows that you're using a vault called 1Password that is stored in your local Dropbox storage. It also shows that you have one Login item stored in that vault. Is that correct?

Is it a Login item that you need?

Do you have more Login items (and other item types stored in 1Password on your Mac?

Do you have Dropbox sync set up on the Sync page of preferences in 1Password for Mac?

What's the path to your vault as displayed on that Sync page on your Mac?

• golfgame
    golfgame
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Is it a Login item that you need? ** NO I do not need it**

Do you have more Login items (and other item types stored in 1Password on your Mac? Yes Many

Do you have Dropbox sync set up on the Sync page of preferences in 1Password for Mac? Yes I do

What's the path to your vault as displayed on that Sync page on your Mac? dennistryon>Dropbox>1Password>1Password.agilekeychain

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

Super!

That tells us that the problem is simple to solve.

1. On the General tab of 1Password for Windows preferences, click the Choose Another button.

2. In the Browse for Folder dialog box that appears, locate and select this folder:

C:\Users\Dennis Tryon\Dropbox\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain

3. Click the OK button to close the Browse for Folder dialog box.

4. Click the OK button to save your changes.

The master password prompt screen appears.

5. Enter the same master password you use in 1Password for Mac.

I hope that helps, @golfgame. Please let us know how it goes.

• golfgame
    golfgame
    Community Member

Outstanding, thank you very much. Will the procedure be the same on my two android devices?

I will now be able to add a new item on any device and they will all sync?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Once you have Dropbox sync set up and working on your Android devices, yes—any item you change on any Dropbox-synced 1Password installation will be propagated to all the other 1Password installations on machines associated with the same Dropbox account.

As for specific instructions for setting up Dropbox sync on your Android device, I'll need to refer you to the user's guide in 1Password for Android. I don't have an Android device on which to test the steps, but I'm sure the instructions are pretty straightforward, now that you know the path to your properly syncing .agilekeychain folder.

Thanks again for choosing 1Password, @golfgame!

• golfgame
    golfgame
    Community Member

In your opinion just how safe is dropbox for this purpose?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

just how safe is dropbox for this purpose?

Assuming you have a strong master password, very safe. Your 1Password data is protected by AES-256+PBKDF2+SHA-512 encryption.

https://blog.agilebits.com/2011/06/21/toward-better-master-passwords/

• golfgame
    golfgame
    Community Member

I use a phrase for 1password. Are you of the opinion that a long generated password is better?

• golfgame
    golfgame
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

svondutch,

Assuming you have a strong master password, very safe. Your 1Password data is protected by AES-256+PBKDF2+SHA-512 encryption.

Were you referring to Dropbox or 1password?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I believe that's just the 1Password encryption.

On top of that, you have Dropbox encryption, as described on their web site:

To protect file data in transit, Dropbox uses SSL/TLS for file transfer, creating a secure tunnel protected by 128-bit or higher AES encryption. Dropbox file data is stored in discrete file blocks that are fragmented and encrypted using 256-bit AES. Not all mobile media players support encrypted streaming, so media files streamed from our servers aren't always encrypted. Additionally, we support perfect forward secrecy, flag all authentication cookies as secure, and enable HSTS.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I use a phrase for 1password. Are you of the opinion that a long generated password is better?

A long randomly generated password is stronger than the same length diceware pass phrase. However, the key point of a master password is that it must be memorable and easy to type, especially on a mobile keyboard. Diceware phrases are much better for this than completely random passwords while still being sufficiently strong to be secure.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Were you referring to Dropbox or 1Password?

1Password. Dropbox encryption is pretty useless to you because the encryption key is in their hands (not in your hands).

This discussion has been closed.