Complex Banking Logins

I'm new to 1Password and trying to populate my entries for ease of use.

The login fields on some very secure sites (eg banking) are just too complex for 1Password to login automatically. I would like 1Password to take me to the first page, enter the first item and then show me the Notes field so that I can enter the remainder manually. I don't seem to be able to do this; The Chrome browser extension will take me to the site but doesn't show me the notes field and the full Windows application shows me the Notes field but doesn't take me to the site and fill in the first field.

Is there another way to do this or am I missing something?

Cheers, Steve

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

If a Login item includes content in the Notes field, the content should be displayed in a tool-tip that appears when you move the pointer over the Login in the extension menu.

If that's not working, can you tell us what version of the Chrome extension you have installed?

In the main 1Password program, you should be able to click on the URL in the details area (presumably after copying the info you need from the Notes field) to go straight to the web site. There, you can pasted in the copied text and then press Ctrl+\ to fill the username and password fields.

I hope that helps, @Olympian‌. Please let us know how it goes.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

If a Login item includes content in the Notes field, the content should be displayed in a tool-tip that appears when you move the pointer over the Login in the extension menu. If that's not working, can you tell us what version of the Chrome extension you have installed?

Please note this feature is currently in the BETA channel only. You need at least version 4.1.0.BETA-531

• Olympian
    Olympian
    Community Member

Thanks for these helpful suggestions. Unfortunately - close, but no cigar.

I have updated to the latest Windows Beta and I can indeed now see the tooltips in the Chrome extension - BUT - this disappears as soon as I run the mouse over it so I can't copy and paste from it. Furthermore it disappears as soon as you return to the login window so you have to remember what you just read!

I also find it a little odd that from the main program there is no button or shortcut to both go to the URL and login (where the site makes this feasible).

Cheers Steve.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

I also find it a little odd that from the main program there is no button or shortcut to both go to the URL and login

1. Start 1Password
    2. Unlock
    3. Locate your Login item
    4. Right-click on your Login item
    5. Click on: "Open"

Alternatively, you can make a double-click on your Login item do what you want:

1. Start 1Password
    2. Unlock
    3. Click on: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > General
    4. Click on the drop-down and change it into: "Open the URL in web browser"
    5. Click on: OK
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

You can read all about those features in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide! :)

@svondutch, I still cannot get the extension to fill the forms after opening them in Chrome, Firefox, or IE. That's why the documentation still mentions needing to press Ctrl+\ after the site is opened in the browser.

• Olympian
    Olympian
    Community Member

OK, thanks - the double-click from 1Password 4 for Windows fills the form on some sites and not on others, as you say.

I would really like the tool-tip in the Chrome extension to stay visible for longer so that I can copy and paste contents or at least see them whilst I manually re-type them.

Thanks for a great app and for replying over the weekend!

Steve.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

We're always glad to help, @Olympian‌. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

This discussion has been closed.