Firefox extension download error [blocked by antivirus]

shahrul
shahrul
Community Member

Hi

I cannot install the Firefox Extension. Error message "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure on agilebits.com"

Thanks

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

It's working fine for me, just now, @shahrul. Can I ask you to try again?

If it still doesn't work, can you describe the steps you're following?

• Matchpoint
    Matchpoint
    Community Member

I am getting the same message. Error message "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure on agilebits.com"

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

@Matchpoint, have you tried again, later? If you're still having the problem, are you using a firewall?

@shahrul, are you still having this problem?

Also, what happens if you go directly to this URL?

• Matchpoint
    Matchpoint
    Community Member

@DBrown tried again. Still no luck. Same message even when I turned Firewall off. Using Windows 8.1 on 64 bit system.

• I'm wondering if this is perhaps a routing or DNS issue, as I haven't heard any other reports, and it seems to be working for me.

Please let me know:

• Are you using a proxy server or VPN?
    • What do you have set for DNS servers?
  • Matchpoint
    Matchpoint
    Community Member

I am sorry but I do not know how to find the information you are requesting.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Well, your IT department or system administrator would know. If you're filling those roles, yourself, then you're probably not using a proxy server or VPN.

Here are a couple of articles to help you find what domain name servers you're using:

Let us know what you find.

• Matchpoint
    Matchpoint
    Community Member

I have Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) both checked. Is that the information you want?

• Hey @Matchpoint‌ it'd be good to know whether you've manually set any kind of DNS servers in the settings pane that David linked to above.

• Matchpoint
    Matchpoint
    Community Member

No it is a new computer Lenova Yoga 2 Pro computer - everything is set at the factory defaults as far as I am aware.

• ahjcster
    ahjcster
    Community Member

I am having the same problem

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

@Matchpoint‌, what DNS servers are listed in the Network and Internet control panel described in the linked articles?

@ahjcster‌, did any of the tips above help?

• ahjcster
    ahjcster
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Nope none of the above tips worked. Just as Matchpoint said, I am getting the following message: The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure on agilebits.com. I also have TCP/IPv6 and TCP/IPv4 checked. IPv4 DNS 68.105.28.11, 68.105.29.11, 68.105.28.12. I am running Firefox 34.0.5 on Windows 8.1. I had no issue with the Chrome extension.

• Matthew Regan
    Matthew Regan
    Community Member

I've been through the steps outlined above but I get the same error as well. Any ideas on how to fix it?

• Matthew Regan
    Matthew Regan
    Community Member

haha! I downloaded the extension via Internet Explorer and opened the file through Firefox. It's working now ;)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

That's for that tip, Matthew!

@Matchpoint, @ahjcster‌, and @shahrul: Please try Matthew's workaround, and let us know whether it works for you, too.

• Matchpoint
    Matchpoint
    Community Member

The work around has been successful - thank you to those who solved it. There is still an issue with the Firefox extension that should be addressed though. Happy New Year to All.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

We'd love to fix it, @Matchpoint, but we can't reproduce it :( and, indeed, relatively few people have encountered it.

• ahjcster
    ahjcster
    Community Member

Yes--I also got it to work with the new tip

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

That’s great news, @ahjcster—thanks for letting us know!

• windows8.1user64bit
    windows8.1user64bit
    Community Member

I had the exact same problem. Windows 8.1, 64-bit, fresh install. The extension installed fine in Chrome and IE (!!!) but not Firefox. I had to install it for IE, then go back to the same page, get IE to save it, then add it manually to Firefox. What a pain!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@windows8.1user64bit: Ack! That is really strange. I wonder why Firefox would have trouble connecting when IE was able to easily.

In these cases, it may help to clear the cache in Firefox in case it's got some stale data there. At any rate, I'm glad that you were able to download it just fine in IE to install in Firefox. Cheers! :)

• Hi @windows8.1user64bit,

Are you using Avast by any chance? We are seeing some AVs blocking the extension install in Firefox and the most common is Avast.

If not, can you tell us which anti-malware solution you're using on your PC?

• norbertus
    norbertus
    Community Member

today the same problem with firefox. Only download through safari possible and then install ok. please check that out.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@norbertus: Unfortunately if something on your system is preventing the extension from being downloaded (whether Firefox settings or addons, or separate security software), there just isn't anything AgileBits (on the server side) or 1Password (locally) can do about that.

After all, if you're able to download the .xpi in another browser to add it to Firefox and then use it, clearly the extension is both available and functional. Definitely see if there are settings on your machine that can be changed to cause you less hassle!

• Hi @norbertus, can you please try to download the Firefox extension again?
    On the download page there is an alternate link, should the primary one not work.
    Please use this link to try and install the extension and tell us if it works.

• BarryBurek
    BarryBurek
    Community Member

Disabling Avast web shield for 10 minutes worked for me, thanks MikeT.
    Windows 8.1, Firefox 38.0.5.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BarryBurek: Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Mike, you're most welcome! I'm glad to hear that did the trick. :)

This discussion has been closed.