Feature Request: customize password generator

I didn't see this in any of the forums. If it is already there, I apologize.

A lot of sites I use require special characters, but only allow me to pick from certain characters. I would like the ability to specify which characters to use for a particular password.

Also, instead of a set number of digits, or a set number of special characters, can it be changed to a minimum? For instance, instead of saying I want 5 digits in my password, change it to be a minimum of 3. So it would be at least 3, but could be more, depending on how it is generated.

I love the program, especially the browser integration piece!

Robert

Comments

• ncc1701aa
    ncc1701aa
    Community Member

Here is a screenshot from another program that shows the features I am requesting. These options can be saved for each login.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

Would something like this be useful, @ncc1701aa‌?

I'm not sure what "use database policy" means, but I think it covers most of the other options in the screen shot you provided.

You can read all about it in the {Creating a strong password](https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/creating-a-strong-password) article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Oh, I missed the "at least" aspect on first viewing. Sorry about that.

I'll add it to the list of requested features.

Thanks!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@DBrown I think the point of the other product's database policy concept is that you can define sets of password generation rules and can easily be switched in and out, rather than having to manually tweet the settings as you change passwords for sites with conflicting requirements.

I like it as flicking back and forth between different settings is something I find myself doing regularly. It would also simplify the default view of the password generator to the text box, strength bar, copy button and a dropdown list for the Complexity Rules.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the explanation, @RichardPayne‌!

This discussion has been closed.