License Key not working for upgrade to 4

When trying to upgrade to 4.0+ 1Password on one of our computers, entering our multi-seat license key into 1Password (PC), it reports that the license key will not work but is eligible for a discount. I've tried typing the license key in and copying/pasting. And also had AgileBits resend the password to me in case I had it written wrong. 4.0+ Software upgrade works fine on other computers. what do I need to do? jenny@vvc.org

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Jenny, did you purchase your 1Password for Windows license in 2013 or 2014?

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows-kb/4/en/topic/upgrading-from-version-1

• It was purchased 12/29/2011

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Oh! Well, that article explains why you're seeing that message. On the other computers, you're either still within the 30-day trial period (since installing 1Password 4 for Windows) or you have fewer than 20 items stored in 1Password.

The good news is that your existing 1Password 1 for Windows license will get you a nice discount on the upgrade in our online store.

Thank you for using 1Password!

• kmichalec
    kmichalec
    Community Member

I was running 1Password 1 on my windows computer, and it popped up that there was an upgrade to version 4 available, and it asked me to download it. So I did, and now it's telling me that my license key is not valid. I purchased my license before 2013. If you are telling me that the upgrade to version 4 is not free for me, then why didn't the upgrade message state that BEFORE i was prompted to upgrade? You should have informed us before we upgraded that it would cost additional. That's complete BS. I've been a long time user of 1Password on both my Windows PC and iOS, and this is how you repay us loyal customers? With an obvious bait and switch money grab?

How do I uninstall version 4 and revert back to version 1???

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Uninstall v4 from control panel as with any Windows software and install v1 as you did originally.

You can download it here:
    https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW3

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, @kmichalec‌. :( We certainly don't intend to mislead anyone, any more than Microsoft means to mislead you when it announces that a new version of Windows is available...or when your auto manufacturer tells you about the new model.

There's ample documentation of the upgrade policy, though not in the context in which you'd have preferred it, and we definitely don't want that to be perceived as BS...I'm assuming that stands for "bait and switch," right? :neutral_face:

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Thats not a fair comparison @DBrown. Windows 7 users don't get offered Windows 8 to download and install as part of the regular windows update prompt.

I agree with the OP. Updates between major versions should be handled differently to regular patches.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@DBrown the trouble is, by the time you realised that you need to read the upgrade policy, you've already replaced your installation with software that you're not licensed for.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

There are technical reasons to upgrade, as well, and in fact the message was added to a new build of 1Password 1 for Windows in direct response to many customers complaining that they never heard an upgrade was available or that they just assumed they were using the current version because they always accepted upgrades as soon as they were offered.

I also think the analogy is fair, if imperfect. The facts are:

There's ample documentation of the upgrade policy, though not in the context in which you'd have preferred it...

I hope you'll agree that that "shortcoming" represents neither of the possible interpretations of "BS" as having been our intent.

I've contacted @kmichalec‌ by PM to see if there's any way we can resolve the situation, so I'll close this thread.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

it popped up that there was an upgrade

@kmichalec‌ An upgrade is not the same thing as an update. Updates are FREE. Upgrades usually cost money. However, if you purchased your old license key in 2013 or 2014 then the upgrade to version 4 is FREE (compare this to other software vendors, who usually have a much shorter upgrade "window").

by the time you realised that you need to read the upgrade policy, you've already replaced your installation with software that you're not licensed for.

@RichardPayne This is incorrect. The version 4 installer does not replace the old version. As a matter of fact, both versions are designed to peacefully co-exist.

the message was added to a new build of 1Password 1 for Windows in direct response to many customers complaining that they never heard an upgrade was available

@DBrown‌ ++

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I've received confirmation from @kmichalec‌ that we've resolved the problem to his satisfaction.

Thanks again, everyone!

This discussion has been closed.