Basic authentication?

Hi,

When I visit a site that requires basic authentication I can see that 1Password has added itself to the basic auth dialog. However, I can find no way at all to actually store the credential required for that page. Clearly I'm missing something. How do I go about securely storing credentials for my pages that require basic auth?

FYI, I'm using 3.5.4-BETA5.

Thanks,
Kevin

Comments

• Carl
    Carl
    Community Member
    nirvdrum wrote:

Hi,

When I visit a site that requires basic authentication I can see that 1Password has added itself to the basic auth dialog. However, I can find no way at all to actually store the credential required for that page. Clearly I'm missing something. How do I go about securely storing credentials for my pages that require basic auth?

FYI, I'm using 3.5.4-BETA5.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Just type in the username and password and it should prompt you to save it after you submit it. If not, you can try to do it manually as follows:

1. Type in the username and password but do not click on the the button to submit it
    2. Click the 1Password icon in the basic auth window
    3. Select Save Login
  • Carl wrote:

Just type in the username and password and it should prompt you to save it after you submit it. If not, you can try to do it manually as follows:

1. Type in the username and password but do not click on the the button to submit it
    2. Click the 1Password icon in the basic auth window
    3. Select Save Login

Okay. I thought that's how it should work or at least how it used to work. But, there's no longer a save option for me. All I can do is fill in with what it thinks the login should be or pick "other logins" to fill in with another unrelated set of credentials. Is there a plist entry or a preference someplace to enable saving in that dialog?

Note I have this problem in: Safari 5.0.3, Firefox 4.0b9, and Chrome (version changes almost daily)

--
    Kevin
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Kevin.

HTTP authentication prompts are not yet supported in Chrome, but Firefox and Safari will prompt you to save a login whenever you type in your credentials and press the "Log In" button.

Manually saving a login in an HTTP authentication prompt is not support (and unnecessary). Autosave can never fail (unless something is broken)! :-)

You can also create the login from within the main 1Password application (File > New Item > New Login) since the username and password fields do not have to match with any specific form field names in the source code of the page. ;-)

Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!
  • Hi khad,

Thanks for the response. I guess I'm suggesting something is broken then. The default selection never matches the hostname I've accessed, but the correct one is available under "other logins." Selecting the other login doesn't seem to correct anything in 1Password, so I need to go through that process the next time I want to visit the site as well. These are all credentials that were saved when 1Password actually saved my basic auth credentials. If I go to a new page with basic auth and enter my credentials, 1Password does not automatically save them (in neither Safari nor Firefox). Manually adding via the 1Password application seems to work, but again, the login always appears under the secondary "other logins" menu item.

--
    Kevin
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I must ask. Do you have autosave enabled? (Preferences > Logins > Enable Autosave of Logins in browser)

If so, please quit your web browser(s) and then:

1. Open 1Password
    2. Open 1Password's Preferences to the Browsers pane
    3. Click the "Remove All Extensions" button
    4. Click the "Install All Extensions" button

Additionally, you may try clearing your cache within 1Password (Help > Troubleshooting > Clear Cache) and even restarting your Mac. Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.